• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HID Help North London/Herts Area

Hi all,

Ive read up on alot of the posts on the forum about fitting HID's, ballasts etc, and am having trouble doing mine. Ive spoken to Shanaei and LeeH and they've both given me alot of advice (cheers guys :))

Just wondering if there is anyone in the North London / Herts area that has experience fitting these on a facelift EP3. As you probably know, getting the bulb in on the drivers side is a slag because of the screen wash bottle :mad: ive also slightly damaged the HID bulb trying to fit it in. The bulb still works as ive tested it.

The bulb will eventually fit in but its very loose and doesnt sit correctly. I noticed when i took the old bulb out that part of the metal clip that holds the bulb in has snapped.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to pay someone to help me as im a bit of a noob to all this and am getting increasingly frustrated :)

Im based in Enfield, but can travel to meet someone.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
alright titan, i have fitted many a set of HIDs but not to EP3s unfortunately or i would be happy to help. from what i understand it is fiddly on the EP3. when i was at a recent west london meet every CTR owner had got HIDs it seemed so if you change your topic title to "HID Help London Area" one of the local boys might see it and help you out.

Hi all,

Ive read up on alot of the posts on the forum about fitting HID's, ballasts etc, and am having trouble doing mine. Ive spoken to Shanaei and LeeH and they've both given me alot of advice (cheers guys :))

Just wondering if there is anyone in the North London / Herts area that has experience fitting these on a facelift EP3. As you probably know, getting the bulb in on the drivers side is a slag because of the screen wash bottle :mad: ive also slightly damaged the HID bulb trying to fit it in. The bulb still works as ive tested it.

The bulb will eventually fit in but its very loose and doesnt sit correctly. I noticed when i took the old bulb out that part of the metal clip that holds the bulb in has snapped.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to pay someone to help me as im a bit of a noob to all this and am getting increasingly frustrated :)

Im based in Enfield, but can travel to meet someone.

Cheers

Ironically, I had the most trouble with the nearside bulb. I just could not get the retaining spring to lock into place.
Which bit is broken? Are the dimples on either side of the bulb base ok?

You may want to try using a mild adhesive to stop the bulb moving too much in the bulb holder adaptor to make life a bit easier.
From what you say, if it is still moving around then the retaining spring doesn't sound like it's on properly.
If you are still having a lot of trouble it may be worth your while to remove the bumper and then the headlight assembly to at least be able to see what you are doing.

HTH

The metal clip which holds the big round rubber part that sits behind the bulb. Hard to explain:)

Yeah ive glued the bulb to the plastic holder, but when i try and manouvre the bulb into place, it just moves around and wont sit properly. I must be doing something wrong :confused:

I tried taking the headlight out last time as this would help me alot, but i cant seem to get the headlight off without removing the bumper, which i wanted to try and avoid. But looks like im going to have to remove the bumper.

Cheers for your help bud :)

No worries mate.

With the facelift bulb, it is a very narrow gap for the bulb to go through so I'm struggling to understand how it moves around at all once you've put it through the hole.
It's not completely flush as the HID bulb is a different shape to the standard H1, so there will be an element of 'wiggle'. This is then resolved by using the spring loaded retaining spring.

The big rubber bit is just to protect the bulb from the elements, normally the 2 prongs from the H1 adaptor go through this and then you connect the electical connection. As the HID's are wired differently you need to feed the wires through the rubber cap and then connect the new loose spade connector from the HID to the existing electrical connection block. That said, there is no metal clip which holds this rubber cap in place. It simply 'plugs' over the back of the light assembly which is also round.

I think the root of your problem is the retaining clip, but I know how hard these things are to try an explain. Unless you can get pics (which is nigh on impossible given the room) I think you may have to bite the bullet and at least drop the bumper low enough to get to the bolts that hold the headlight in place.

Yeah unfortunately i think the bumper is going to have to come off at least so i can get the headlight out. Theres just such little room to work with on the drivers side, its hard to do it without any problems, unlike some guys on here that can do it with their eyes closed:lol:

I might give it another go with my mate but if someone local to me from the forum can help me that would be ideal. My mate has done it on his R26 Megane but obviously he didnt have the same problems im experiencing

Does this help describe the problem?

B__0801.jpg

From what i can see, number 8 looks like the part that is glued to the bulb. Number 6 looks like the retaining clip, but mine must be snapped because i only have one side of it and not the other :confused:

You should have got a modified bulb holder which replaces 8 on the diagram. This will be hollow to allow the cables from the HID bulb through.

However, if the retaining clip is snapped that would explain why the bulb is still loose.
I think you're going to have to take it all off if that is the case, 1 to confirm the problem, and 2 to replace it if it is broken.

I'm not sure whether 6 is the same as the standard clip as when I did mine you only hook one side over. 6 could be a special one designed solely for the (non standard) factory HID kit shown above.
It may well be that the standard clip is non replaceable and hence not shown on the diagram as a spare part. If I remember correctly though, one end of the clip goes over the bulb holder (does not actually attach anywhere) whilst the other end clips to a catch on the edge of the assembly to hold the bulb in place.

Do both sides look the same, have you managed to do the other side?

mines kinda odd legged, one side goes all the way up and clips round the bracket at the top and the other side only goes half way up

You should have got a modified bulb holder which replaces 8 on the diagram. This will be hollow to allow the cables from the HID bulb through.

However, if the retaining clip is snapped that would explain why the bulb is still loose.
I think you're going to have to take it all off if that is the case, 1 to confirm the problem, and 2 to replace it if it is broken.

I'm not sure whether 6 is the same as the standard clip as when I did mine you only hook one side over. 6 could be a special one designed solely for the (non standard) factory HID kit shown above.
It may well be that the standard clip is non replaceable and hence not shown on the diagram as a spare part. If I remember correctly though, one end of the clip goes over the bulb holder (does not actually attach anywhere) whilst the other end clips to a catch on the edge of the assembly to hold the bulb in place.

Do both sides look the same, have you managed to do the other side?

I havent checked the other side yet, but from what i can see it looks like its going to be a damn site easier to reach than the drivers side.

I will take the bumper/headlight off, that way i'll be able to see exactly what is broken, and then it will be easier to fix...fingers crossed lol.

Who would of thought it would be this much hassle to change a fricking bulb!:)

This is the closest pic I could find to show how it is supposed to be:
y1pzRgdCoSIcfalViY3JXGG9tXH_V739fPN4ppEOJlEVLgQDDztpODMBgOVZ-Gkob4Lnln6rVshFX-kTo51-dl3YA

See how the right side rests over the bulb holder, the left side hooks around a catch on the assembly, and it's hinged at the bottom.

I'd check the other side first as it could be exactly the same, and if that's the case then it sounds like you're just having the same problem that I did with fitting the clip back in place properly. In the end my fingers were so sore I used a pair of needle nose pliers and did it in about five seconds!

Plus this will save you taking the bumper off.

It also seems that if the clip is indeed damaged you will either need a replacement headlight or do some searching at the breakers yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully i wont have to get a replacement headlight just because of a metal clip :mad:

I think im going to give it a go over the bank holiday weekend. I'll be sure to come back to you if im still struggling :lol:

I wish it was the ballast that had gone, would have caused less problems

Back