• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HID kits

just looking to get some views and recommendations on some HID kits for the EP3

dont quite know whats good makes and whats cheap rubbish, quite liked the 6000k ones that one of the guys on facebook just fitted the other week

I've had a kit from HIDS4U on my DC2 and I thought they were really good. A few of the members on the DC5 forum run them on their DC5s as the Honda kits are over £300 per side, no real complaints and meant to have great customer service.

I've had 6000k in the past and would recommend the lower numbers, 4200k I think is standard colour and so much more light on the road. Blue looks terrible to me.

Though I have just used the cheapest ebay kit going, they're all pretty much the same and I could get nearly 3 sets for the price of an expensive one. So I took the gamble, so far so good.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

HIDs4u is the one that pops up alot when searching, and at 89 quid a set its a pretty decent price, i think 6000k is what i would go for as its a slight blue tint which personally i think looks awesome especially on a NHB EP3, ive been kinda sceptical about buying cheaper kits but eurocarparts do a kit for £35 which was tempting lol.

another question though is what about high beams? get another set for high beam or keep standard bulbs? seems a bit much to me having 4 ballasts fitted or are they not meant for high beam?

Blue looks a bit chav if you ask me, the natural white is a much nicer colour. Just keep high beams as they are, no point in changing them IMO.

I used the old kit as high beam. Rubbish for short term lights, but once they've warmed up its got a ridiculous light output. Close to daylight having dipped and main as 55w kits. The white light is so much better than blue.

The lower the kelvin the more light output. So you're actually reducing light output by going for the bluer colours!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I've used cheap eBay kits for years and never had any issues.
The key is to make sure everything is mounted securely. Excessive vibrations will eventually kill the ballasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some things to consider.

Make sure the ballasts are mounted securely and you are ready to buy replacement bulbs relatively regularly. I used them on my EP3 for around 4 years and had to replace bulbs around 8 to 10 times. They say that they will last 50000 hours or something but that never happens and the gas chamber always ends up splitting due to heat build up. I always had to keep spare bulbs in the car just incase one went while it was dark.

Buy the 55W ones as the 35W ones are just not bright enough unless you do city driving. 5000K is white 6000K is blue/white. I personally think that 6000K looks better and more modern.

Please also be aware that you can have heat staining on the inside of your headlights from them after a few years. This can dull the reflective ability of the headlights over time.

I now run with Philips brilliant white bulbs that are around 5000K. They sell for around 35 quid but look great and will last years.

Here are some things to consider.

Make sure the ballasts are mounted securely and you are ready to buy replacement bulbs relatively regularly. I used them on my EP3 for around 4 years and had to replace bulbs around 8 to 10 times. They say that they will last 50000 hours or something but that never happens and the gas chamber always ends up splitting due to heat build up. I always had to keep spare bulbs in the car just incase one went while it was dark.

Buy the 55W ones as the 35W ones are just not bright enough unless you do city driving. 5000K is white 6000K is blue/white. I personally think that 6000K looks better and more modern.

Please also be aware that you can have heat staining on the inside of your headlights from them after a few years. This can dull the reflective ability of the headlights over time.

I now run with Philips brilliant white bulbs that are around 5000K. They sell for around 35 quid but look great and will last years.

Not sure if it was just the type of bulbs you bought but i have not had a bulb go on my EP3 over the years. I have tried a few HID ballasts over the years as it was always the ballast that died rather than the bulb.
55w one's are too hot for facelift EP3's and are not suited to being so close to the lens imho. I have had no problems using the 35w ones in my headlights and foglights for years.

Back