• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HID Lights

I emailed a local but fairly well known company that supply car modifications about some HID lights, asking whether they fit them as well.
I'm no expert on the subject by a long shot, but I would have thought that if you have a battery, the right kit and bulb for the car it would work? (They advertise all kits, i.e H1, H4, H7 etc on their site)

Here's the response I got:

"Hi
Sorry HID kits will not work with the civic type r
For some reason they are not compatible and the lights
Will just pulse on and off

Kind Regards, xxxxxxxx.com Team"

(I've taken out the name, not sure what the rules are regarding posting company names)

Alright mate, i had H4 fitment ones, but then i did the headlight conversion to the facelift model headlights which are H7 iirc, i got mine from hids direct, easy to fit and never had a problem with them, give them a shout.

I agreed with nnash79. There are always alternatives on any mod to the cars. I think the supplier were probably mis-understanding with the various models on the road nowdays. I'll suggest maybe you can email them with a pic of the car and full spec. It should work. That's what i've done when I had mine installed everything standard except with new install HID conversion...

I have HID's in mine which is a facelift model. Pretty sure they are H1 bulbs. Easy way to find out is to pop into halfords and heck which replacement bulbs are needed, you also need to modify the bulb holder which is very simple and I have instructions on it somewhere. They probably got confused due to the wiring loom being designed for t old h4 lights but with different bulbs controlled by the adapter.

Pretty sure they are H1 bulbs. Easy way to find out is to pop into halfords and check which replacement bulbs are needed

Halfords say it is H4 fitment for all models from 2001-2006 BUT it's wrong, no surprise there though :lol: but if yours is a facelift then recoy2k is right, they are H1 fitment for dipped beam

Your local company dont know what there on about.

For facelift, get a H1 hid kit and get the civic bulb brackets from hids4u. Dont think about paying someone to fit them, its really not a hard job.

Fitting is along the lines of,

Remove old bulbs.
Fit hid bulbs using adaptor
Mount ballasts
Connect ballasts to bulbs and power loom.
Hide/cable tie looms so all tidy
Connect pos/neg leads to battery

Few other little bits maybe as each kit is slightly different but its not hard.

Where are you located, might be someone local who can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at getting this HID kit for the civic.

Just wondering which bulbs to get for the sidelights so they don't look out of place?

Cheers!

Dave i have some 5 led white sidelights from ebay (Hong kong) costing about £6 ish. will see if i can find them in my ebay tommorrow.

I have 6000k bulbs and they match quite well.

Holly cow £200:eek::eek::eek:

Do you have money to burn.

I paid £70 for mine almost 3 years ago and they have been fitted to my civic for just over a year and my previous motor (nissan 200sx) for almost 2 years.

Have worked fine since i first got them, still on the original bulbs/ballasts and wiring with no faults at all.

The pre-facelift EP3 has reverse-polarity headlights. Basically, this means that the +ve and -ve are the other way around which although doesn't affect halogen bulbs they do with HID.

In the newer kits, the ballast is polarity protected and has a circuit that deals with it so theres no problem. With the older kits, you will either have to tweak the kit yourself with a high voltage uni-directional diode and rearranging the circuit or buy yourself a ready made plug-n-play harness.

HIDS4U initially realised this problem and had the plug and play harnesses for the EP3.

So the answer is yes they will work on the EP3. But for the pre-facelift EP3, the design of the bulb is critical - if they don't get the dimensions spot on, you get hardly any light on the road, defeating the object.

Or just plug it in the other way round.

No extra diodes needed, most hid kits only use one original bulb connector as a switch for the hids via a relay. They get there power from the battery.

Or just plug it in the other way round.

No extra diodes needed, most hid kits only use one original bulb connector as a switch for the hids via a relay. They get there power from the battery.

Yeah you can just plug it in the other way round but you will only get dipped beam on a bixenon kit. If you want high beam as well you will need a diode or a relay etc. But diodes only cost a few pennies. The diode is necessary as the solenoid draws current to shift the position of the capsule whilst keeping the bulb lit.

On a hi/lo kit where the main beam is a filament bulb you can get away without doing this, but as the main beam on these are crap most people go for bixenon.

Understand. Not needed on facelift due to main and dip being too seperate bulbs.

Hardly use my main beam due to dip hids being awesome so still have stock main beam halogen bulbs

Back