• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hids for facelift ep3

I am contemplating fitting hids for my facelift ep3 as the standard lights are hopeless. Can anyone recommend me a good kit, pictures would be helpful.

Also what k do people choose, is there a legal limit?

thanks

Hi,

i have a set on mine and they are great compared to standard, my car came with 8k ones fitted but they were terrible so I fitted 6k ones and the light was much better, not as blue but gave a much better spread of light, I got mine off eBay for around £40 and I have had them for over 10 months now with no problems yet.

regards
Baz

Hi,

i have a set on mine and they are great compared to standard, my car came with 8k ones fitted but they were terrible so I fitted 6k ones and the light was much better, not as blue but gave a much better spread of light, I got mine off eBay for around £40 and I have had them for over 10 months now with no problems yet.

regards
Baz

thanks for your help, I have just purchased a 6000k kit with bulb holders. Now you said that I am happy with my choice of colour

Which ones did you go for? This is a tweak to the lighting which I have been looking at.

when mine arrive I will let you know when they are fitted and give you the info, I would hate to recommend something before I've tried it and find it to be sub standard.

If you want to install HID headlamps on a car that did not come with them as standard, you must abide by these rules:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

Basically it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

I had a set of these in 3month and traffic cops gave me £30 fine and giving 14days to change.

I put in h1 phillips bluevision bulbs after that and that is the closest I've had to the hids.

If you want to install HID headlamps on a car that did not come with them as standard, you must abide by these rules:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

Basically it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Thats very true

but how many people do you see on the road with them :lol:

But if you do i would recommend 6000k and to get some cheap bulb holders of ebay so you dont have to ruin your existing ones :)

I was told that it can't fail an mot if the washers and self levelling isn't fitted, they can only fail them if they're fitted but not working. I'd say 7/10 cars these days have hid's and I bet 4/10 are not factory fitted.

I have fitted after market HID's to the past three cars I've owned and had maybe 6 MOT tests at different garages and never once been pulled up on the HID kits, even had headlights leveled by the MOT tester.

Butcher can I ask you a question? You know how you've changed your headlights to hid's? Do you replace the full beam bulb with hid's aswell meaning 2 sets of hid's or do you leave the full beam bulb the way it is?

Just leave the full beam halogen mate as once you have HID dipped you'll rarely use your full beam again. If you want you can put some upgraded halogen lamps in the full but I personally don't see the need to.

Edit. If I lived out I the sticks with no street lights and very dark roads I may upgrade the main beam for ultimate daylight driving at night but my driving is mostly well lit areas so rarely use main.

I had hid's in my fiesta before I got the civic aswell as SMD's for the sidelights, its just once I have white lights I like all the bulbs to match as best as possible even if they don't get used. If I do change them are they just a straight swap or would I need another set of holders?

For the main beam I'm not sure mate as iv not looked at them. I know what you mean about wanting the colour match iv done the same with my dipped and side lights, iv fit SMD sides, interior and number plate lights so they all have a white modern glow, the interior is super bright too when I unlock the car really lights up the recaros on a night :)

Back