• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

High pitched noise coming from the intake manifold area

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Drove the Teg for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and half way into the drive I heard what sounded like the alternator belt screeching. I *think* it rises and falls with the engine revs, and it definitely sounds like a belt when you turn the engine off as there is what sounds like belt slip. However the noise is coming from the intake manifold area, possible underneath it and closer to the airbox side than the belt itself.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ar91VtA-qfT8geZZRry4mZLSF7WjjQ

I'm not sure if that link works as OneDrive is blocked in work.

Any ideas?

I believe I've got the similar issues than yours. My setup is Rrc manifold 70mm ported and TB and tegiwa M intake. It wasn't like that before this set up, and it sounds when it rev. I thought I need get it tuned and see what happen. Sounds like turbo or belt noise

I'm really hoping it doesn't sound like it does on the video otherwise that sounds like metal-on-metal :(

Just spoke to Tom at TGM, he said it's either the pulley tensioner, PAS pump or alternator. I said it sounded more like around the intake manifold and he said that the RBC is known to crack and it could be that. He said to spray some brake cleaner over it and see if the engine starts laboring. He said it's fine to drive so I'll probably take it down tomorrow or something.

I did wonder about PAS, the ones I'd heard before though were very obvious in the cabin, and not quite that high pitched (unless it had completely leaked until empty). Is PS fluid still at an okay level?

Best of luck, he's hoping it's just the pulley tensioner or one of the other moderately cheap rollers on the serpentine.

Just spoke to Tom at TGM, he said it's either the pulley tensioner, PAS pump or alternator. I said it sounded more like around the intake manifold and he said that the RBC is known to crack and it could be that. He said to spray some brake cleaner over it and see if the engine starts laboring. He said it's fine to drive so I'll probably take it down tomorrow or something.

Hope you get sorted and let us know, I'm worry would this affect the dyno tune in TDI NORTH IN 29th of July, I hope I can sort this out before the tuning too..

That video sounds like when we have a collapsed bearing at work. When the rollers come out and casing are grinding against each other, before they fail.

It does sound like metal on metal, but I haven't got the best sound quality here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had similar and it turned out to be a small air leak between the throttle body and RBC.

That is make me thinking something! In my set up, the throttle body fitted to the RRC intake manifold, I don't have a gasket in between them! Will this make not 100% seal when air come through? My throttle body is 70mm spoon, where can I get this if is important..

The RBC inlet adaptor play that's required to fit one to these cars.

The RBC inlet adaptor play that's required to fit one to these cars.

By the way, in my adapter, a paper gasket is important to the rbc or not? Mine were missing too..will that be also a problem?

I've got a hondabond, can I use it instead of gasket to seal the adapter and TB too? Anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is make me thinking something! In my set up, the throttle body fitted to the RRC intake manifold, I don't have a gasket in between them! Will this make not 100% seal when air come through? My throttle body is 70mm spoon, where can I get this if is important..

You could make your own paper gasket or alternatively just carefully use some instant gasket.

Never mind I fixed it, adaptor plate was really loose.

Nice one.

Bearing in what Tom?

We have huge vibrating gearboxes in work, when a bearing fails it squeals and makes a sound similar to your video, until it collapses completely and smashes the gears.

Obviously it wasn't that and just a loose TB.

Back