• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Hillclimb Project EP3

Any videos from gurston? I did the hill climb school there and really enjoyed it. Never got brave enough to push hard though, the track is much narrower than it looks!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Gurston was a struggle and I spent the day trying to work out where I should be with the gears. Was frustrating but very keen to get back there. Was at least a second away from what I should have been doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNo85zXiXnM

Good photo from Wiscombe..

LxdjwG0t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First track day in the Civic at Castle Combe. Learnt a lot but took it fairly easy, more to come from the car. New front brembo brake pads worked well. Gear change not perfect, so going to change the fluid and also install a short shift unit.

Had a run in a friends race clio. Completely different!

hrM6ETzb.jpg

Near enough every post I've read about a short shifter has been negative, everyone has complained about it making gear changes difficult. I haven't fitted one for that reason, have a read before buying one

Short shifter was one of the first mods I did on my EP3, no problems in the 8 years it's been on.

the buddy club type units are much better, but the likes of the tegiwa one i would advise against.
I had problems along with others.

Loved it while it was in though

Well, short shifter still hasn’t arrived..

Took the civic to the Bristol mc sprint at Combe on Saturday. Huge class and wasn’t expecting too much up against serious turbo kit. Thought that a 72s run may be possible with the car as it is. Also, should always aim at being the top N/A car. Did a 73.49 in the end, so not too far away but much more to come from me.

https://youtu.be/d3tgWWXX7T4

Which short shifter did you get? I along with the others who complained had the MJC/TEGIWA short shifter and it was nothing short of a ballache. Lovely to shift when it worked, but caused more issues in the end than it fixed. Especially how hard some gears are to get into and the fact that you risk damaging syncros by not allowing enough travel too.

Buddyclub is the way to go but ££££

I'll have to look into getting a buddyclub one, I didn't realise there were different brands and only some are poor. Thanks for the info

Totally different beast. The buddyclub is a whole new shifter assembly whereas the tegiwa is a little bracket which bolts on and moves the folcrum point.

Buddyclub reduces both horizontal and verticle throw, tegiwa is verticle only.

Would be interesting to hear thoughts on the next steps... looking at 2019 and beyond, but on a budget.

Got to get the car through an MOT, which may dictate things, but current thinking is:

1. Get the suspension sorted. Springs and shocks look tired. Yellowspeed or BC racing coilovers. Hopefully may find some decent second hand ones. £500+
2. I'll get some proper sticky front tyres for the speed events. £250.
3. Buy everything for a power increase, somewhere approaching 230bhp and a lower vtec would be great. Need manifolds (PRC inlet and japspeed - all on a budget), sports cat (japspeed), K pro 100, and then a map. £1000.
4. Looking towards the more distant future, I think I would really benefit from a proper seat and belts, but that would also require a rear cage. £1000.

Any views on this approach?

Tbh, if the worst happens, I could always break the car and regain most of the costs. Especially if I can find decent second hand bits in the first place.

Back