• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

hitting the rev limiter the odd few times, is it that harmful?

Hellooo

Basically ive had my ep3 for around a month now. I drove it hard from the moment i got it because i've always wanted one lol. I dont drive like a lunatic but i have hit the rev limiter on a few occasions, its usually when im racing down slip roads slipping into the lane i want.

Basically i've heard that the ep3 engine is one of the most durable engines out there. Obviously without taking the ****, i was just wondering how much harm is hitting the rev limiter going to do?

I also have revved the engine in neutral to the bounce off point at 6000rpm (it doesnt engage the vtec in neutral does it?)... Will this harm my engine if its the engine is warmed up?

cheers

I dont think doing it occasionally will do much, if any harm, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. The limiter is there for a reason. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the subject will tell you for sure :D

V-tec does not engage in neutral, I wouldn't do it if the engine was cold though if that's what you mean in your last sentence?

Scott

Hitting the limiter on the way up isnt a problem at all.
Going past it on the way down the box is a whole different issue.

There is a limiter set at ~4,000rpm to prevent neutral geared over-revs. However, dipped clutch and first gear engaged will over-ride this.

J7 is correct - correct downshifts are important and no limiter will stop the wheels from turning the engine if you get it wrong.

Hitting the limiter on the way up isnt a problem at all.
Going past it on the way down the box is a whole different issue.

True. Limiter is there for a reason.
To prevent over revving under load.

However, I'm not sure what it would be on a stock K series, but I know all
Engines have a safe 'up' limit and a safe 'down' limit.

Ie it May be safe to rev to 9000rpm under load, but may be perfectly fine to overrev to 10000rpm on downshifts for Instance.

You mainly see it in built race engine specs, and I wouldn't recommend it on standard internals

Ie it May be safe to rev to 9000rpm under load, but may be perfectly fine to overrev to 10000rpm on downshifts for Instance.

The problem is if you go from high revs in 5th or 6th and accidentally stick it in 1st or 2nd. Then your talking about F1 revs which will and has blown engines up before.

Don't rev the car up to 6k in neutral. Not only is it not very good for the engine, but you'll look a real prick doing it!

Don't rev the car up to 6k in neutral. Not only is it not very good for the engine, but you'll look a real prick doing it!
This. If you are into launching your car, dial in 3-4k rpm, seems to do the trip. Any more and you won't be doing your clutch too many favours.

As has been said, hitting the limiter now and again is fine, it's there to prevent over rev, so it's designed to hit it to stop the damage being done. However, driving along you local estate in 1st on the limiter won't do the engine any favours. :lol:

No harm what so ever on the way up as said, you can leave a brick on the gas pedal and come back to it an hour later and it will be the same. Its just an electronic cut, as the manufacture believes theres where the limit should be (with safe tolerance) and im pretty sure there is no OE fuel map after that limiter.

Wont help you win races hitting it though lol.

The EP3 has a +-8250 fuel cut, this means, when hitting these revs, the ECU will decide not to let the injectors inject fuel into the intake manifold.
Why's this bad?
Well, you'll run 'dry', like running way too lean, overheating the engine.
Basically, this is not so bad at all, even on circuit driving it wouldn't harm too much as long as you won't do it for more than a few rev-bounces every now and then.
As for rallycars, an ignitioncut may be a more common choise. That also explains why they pop 'n fart so often, as the unburnt fuel is sent to the exhaust

My friend works for Honda. He had an EP3 in a couple of years ago that they wanted repairing under the extended warranty as it was blown. Put it on the computer and the silly sod was booting it and instead of going from 4th to 5th, went into 3rd. The engine hit about 14,000rpm and went bang instantly. So be very careful on selecting the right gear

Its true what they say, the vtec engines are bulletproof and probobly one of the best ever made. However this doesnt mean you can drive it like a complete prat. These engines thrive on being driven hard every now and then but make sure you have warmed up before you do it. And if you do constantly thrash it, make sure your always checking your oil levels, because it will drink oil like its petrol if your teccing it everywhere, and you definately dont want to run the engine dry. And like these other guys say, watch your gear changes, cos i promise you if you hit 1st gear at a 100mph you will s*!t a brick!!

Back