• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HKS Suction or Gruppe M

Hey guys basically looking for some advice, opinions and views on these two kits. Can anyone give me some performance figures and rolling road print outs etc? Also price guides for new and used, and some advantages/disadvantages on the two. Ive just sold my EP2 (Type R replica) And I am in the process of switching to an FN2 GT pack.

I am fairly new to this forum.

I am a member on EPCivic, civinfo and civictype-r.co.uk but decided to join Type R Owners forum before purchasing an FN2.

So please go easy on me and I appreciate any hints/tips.

Regards
Mike

I've now got the Driven Crazy Scoop and the TDi-North heatshield with my HKS and on datalogs I've done with Paul at TDi I get intake temps of 8C above ambient which, when compared with the Mugen's 6/7C, is pretty impressive!

Yeah I heard the Gruppe M's were in the region of £600, yet Ive seen sumopower selling HKS for around £250. It seems the HKS is rather popular in terms of price, noise and performance reading peoples reviews. Plus if I were to get a Gruppe M how much would you be looking at to get it fitted say at TDI North?

How much extra horsepower does the HKS give to a standard FN2 engine?

Thanks for your help guys, Loxy Ill take a look at the thread thanks.

Mike

Loxy, just read the thread. I think Ive made up my mind, a HKS with a cold air feed seems like a good option. How and what is the best way of incorporating a heat shield into the set up?

In your video is that with the HKS and cat back? You say your getting 220bhp from those two mods alone?

Thanks for your help and advice,

Mike

If you could fit a HKS, you'd be able to do the GruppeM.

TDi-North usually charge about an hour for fitting assuming nothing is rusted on and needs cutting off and all the bits of the kit is there!

Last time I went their rates were around £55 per hour, plus VAT.

Rough gains are on the link. You won't get much in reality without a remap. Anything between 2-5bhp for the intake on its own really.

would it be worth a do-luck panel filter for a fraction of the price if were only talking 2-5bhp? I cant imagine a remap would be cheap, prices??

I am by no means a mechanic so would rather pay someone to fit should I get a HKS or Gruppe M, I guess it would be peace of mind to let such a proffesional company as TDI North to fit it.

Hmm Im confused and dont know what to do now...

In reality a panel filter will give you next to no gains. Unless you are thinking about smoothing out the inside of the airbox and putting a scoop on it like the Tegiwa/Mugen or Driven Crazy, then that would be similar gains.

For a remap you need a Hondata Flashpro which are £550 new but you can pick them up for £400ish second hand.

TDi charge around £200 plus VAT I think for a custom map.

The link above shows my graph with the HKS, cat-back and a remap. It made 220bhp and bog standard FN2s are known to usually get around 204-207bhp with no mods.

Still if you look at the gains, mid range is where it is at and makes the car much more drivable!

Back