• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Hmm Has a release Bearing Problem

After no luck trying to find an EP3, this one popped up. It's in my price range roughly.. But theres two main things wrong with it. This is what the Ad says "since the clutch change the clutch release bearing makes a whirring noise when hot and in neutral". I don't know how easy that would be to fix?

Check the Ad: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...dius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&page=3

It has slight lacquer peel and squeaky brakes which isnt a big deal to fix. But all in all what do you guys think?

A sweeping generalisation based on no factual evidence (plenty of anecdotal) but: Toyos = cnut.

OK.... The car has Toyo Proxes on. Hence: I wouldn't trust a word he says about clutch etc.

Those alloys look like they've been shittily painted. An easy refurb for a DIY minded person. Flywheel is a whole nother thing. That's entirely up to you.

Gotta ask why they changed the flywheel with no other modifications. Here's some anecdotal evidence: my brother had a guy do work on his classic mini, they forgot to properly torque the clutch down, clutch came loose and destroyed the reluctor ring (along with other bits) necessitating a flywheel replacement, we decided to go aftermarket/lightened because why not.

Trying to sell that mini now with JUST the lightened flywheel will raise a lot of eyebrows.

5+ owners again and bonnet looks to be in awful condition. Your best bet with an EP3 is waiting for a forum car imo. That way you'll be getting the most honest and cared for examples and you'll see from build threads what work went into them. It does mean a bit of a wait, but you could always put a wanted post up on here and see what response you get.

Yeah i guess you're right. It's rare to see an EP3 put up for sale on here though, like you said it may be a wait. Not to mention in my price range.

Also to add, it's going to be hard to find one thats not been modified on this forum haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.... The car has Toyo Proxes on. Hence: I wouldn't trust a word he says about clutch etc.

I have Toyo TR1s on my car and it is one of the best kept 02 EP3s out there. It is kept very clean with regular fluid changes as well as all parts replaced with even the slightest end of life wear. For example i have just replaced the headlights for new ones as the originals were starting to dull.

It handles fine in the dry and i do not track it. Yes i agree they are a little cheap and dont last long but to say everyone is a cnut that owns them......

Sweeping statement indeed sir ;)

I think I was lucky. I managed to find a relatively unmolested EP3 that only had the CAI modified. I'm quite proud of how little it is modified. Plan on keeping it that way.

This is become a habit now haha.
But this one has been discounted. It was up for £400 more just yesterday. Only thing im confused about is that it's an 05 plate but its a premier edition? How is that possible? And dont worry, i know the reg is blocked out but i messagedthe guy and he sent me over the reg: RN05OWW

What do you think? Need enthusiasts opinions : https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...-from=2004&make=HONDA&postcode=bn252db&page=1

It's also unmodified! But when i say i want one unmodified, it means i'd like to do it all myself. So i know what has and hasnt been done on the car.

Looks fine from the pictures. No engine bay shot (unless I am being dense).

Seriously though, looking at pictures on autotrader is pretty worthless imho. You can just about see that yes 1) it is a car and 2) yes it kind of looks like the car you're after.

If you want something, look at something that is described as you want, go drive it/test it then get a local mechanic to give it a once over.

Despite being from the UK I've never actually bought a car there (only in Poland) but what we do here is see the car once, test it out, give it my best attempt at finding issues, haggle the price and go do an out-of-band MOT (called przeglad here) at an MOT centre of my choosing. It's all out of my pocket but at least I know it will pass it's next MOT.

Only thing im confused about is that it's an 05 plate but its a premier edition? How is that possible?

Premier editions came in 2005 and 2006

Too good to be true, that mileage service history and price i'm afraid

there will be a catch with something

Thanks for the advice guys.
Ive just come across another one on gumtree. Its almost within my price range but only 80k on it and its had a lot of good work done on it. Looks like its been owned by an enthusiast and i wouldn't be surprised if he's signed up here but it has an MOT Sat and i'll check it out next week should everything go well.

Back