• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hole in block :-(

Dramatic incident last night when accelerating briskly (not full throttle though) in my ep3 I get a loud bang, cabin fills with smoke and lose all oil pressure.

Im absolutely gutted. I work in public services, have very little free cash as I'm in the middle of completely renovating my first home getting it ready to move in to, need my car for work and to get to the house to progress it and this couldn't have come at a worse time (plus I loved the car of course!)

After turning off and coasting down. The back of the engine bay is covered in oil, further investigation reveals a big hole in the block on exhaust side. My mechanic reckons it's unheard of in a ctr engine, anyone know what would have caused this?

The history is that it has been making a blowing noise from header area for a couple days. Believed to be a crack in manifold and may be completely unrelated otherwise car has been driving perfectly.

I will now need a new engine :-( if anyone is able to.help me source a good one at a reasonable price, please message me with any details or help you can offer,

Just so I know what to look for am I correct in saying that a face-lift engine will fit my previous face-lift EP3 with no probs and an fn2 engine will also fit if I swap over the ancillaries?

Sad vtecben

FN2 engine has loads of different sensors, ECU and DBW throttle that the EP3 engine doesn't have. It's a lot of hassle to put an FN2 engine in an EP3.

The last chap I read was doing that on here and advised against doing it, saw it go pop, so better to source an EP3 engine for ease sake if nothing else.

A few engines do just go pop. There is a reason but little warning. Blocked oil channels, oil pumps failing and losing pressure, low oil level, cranks spinning bearings and throwing a rod.

Bad luck bud. :(

Thanks, Its just a shame that the rest of the car is good and something freaky like this happens. Ill try to source an ep3 motor if possible, but just going back to fn2 motors: I know that it's dbw and different ecu etc, but if I were to transfer over the intake mani and tb from the ep3 would it work then? So I would be using just the bare block amd head from the fn2?

I know of a K20A for sale out of a good DC5, PM me if you're interested. The engine is in Swindon.

There was a chap on the FB page that got his car hit when parked. It'll be a right off defo, so might be worth dropping him a message in case he is buying it back.

Back