• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Honda Civic Type-R K20A2 Engine Mount Help

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum business so go easy on me :)

My engine shakes when idling and just got confirmation that the engine mounts are on its way out. I am looking to get performance engine mounts instead of OEM Parts so they last longer.

My question is, how many mounts are needed in total. I've checked on Tegiwa Import website and they have a picture of 4 mounts and mentions in description that the Front Engine Mount is not included and the prices all together cost £400+

How many engine mounts are there to secure the whole engine.

Thanks for reading guys and would appreciate if anyone could help.

Kindest Regards, EP3TBP

Hi mate and welcome along.

There is four engine mounting points in total.
1x gearbox side mount
1x rear gearbox mount
1 x engine side mount
1x front mount which bolts to the subframe.

Kit's will generally sell all the mounts except the front subframe mount which I believe can be purchased seperately.

Thanks so much AdamB,

On Tegiwa website it has a picture of 4 mounts but then mentions in the description that "Front Mount Not Included" which just confused me as to how many there are.

Would I need to buy these two in order to complete replace the mounts.. (Attached images)
7dfae3a3d47a1fb225629604df51c51a.jpg

003772105c6f366252af42ee028dd2de.jpg

Kindest Regards, EP3TBP

Now I am in two minds.. Billet set or steel? What are the main differences? Add to that, what stiffness would be ideal. I use my vehicle daily and plan to only have it to hit 300BHP max..

Kindest Regards, EP3TBP

I believe the billet is slightly stiffer and also looks better. Other than that I can't imagine there is any other differences.

Regarding stiffness, how many miles do you do? Are you going to track the car at all?
If it's a daily and see's a fair amount of miles then the likelihood is the 60A would be best. If you plan on doing a few trackdays a year and can live with a little vibration then 75A.

Failing that you could just opt for a set of mount inserts from Energy Suspension.

I do about 10k miles a year and I take the car up Santapod once a year or so (drag strip). Not a fan of racing around a circuit as I feel like the car goes under a lot of pressure increasing the chances of more wear and tear.

I might as well go for the street Steel set (60A) as all I'm looking for is a better and durable engine mount rather than the OEM mounts not to mention the OEM ones on there now has worn out

Kindest Regards, EP3TBP

Jap service parts.co.uk, sell all the original Honda engine mounts. The side mount is alittle pricey on there, so i had a look on Ebay and you can buy the genuine Honda side mount from there for £70.
I'm not sure what miles your car has on it TGol08, but standard "genuine" Honda mounts will not wear out anytime soon if your doing 10k a year.
Unless your going for considerably more power, genuine mounts and possibly inserts are the way to go. I would assume excessive vibration from racing mounts.

Your choice pal. Just thought i'd let you in on the best prices i have found for genuine stuff.

Cheers

Thanks buddy, I've changed all mounts to upgraded Street mounts. The genuine mounts on my car were so badly worn that the engine was leaning and it was knocking going over small bumps. After getting them changed the car pulls fantastic as the engine now is so stable. Yes I have a bit of vibration on the car but I see it as my own vibrating bucket seats which is pretty comfortable

Kindest Regards, EP3TBP

No worries pal,

I was just doing a search about engine mounts, as i have a knock coming from the rear of the engine when changing gear with a little force. I am not noticing any typical problems with mounts other than this weird knock.
The previous owner done a clutch kit, but on inspection, i noticed that the gearbox mount hadnt been tightened properly. I've not had a chance to get under the car as i'm currently offshore. assuming the rear mount is actually attached to the gearbox,
i'm hoping that its a simple tighten up job.
The only other thing i experience is front end knocking at low speeds over bumps, so i've ordered 4 new heavy duty droplinks and poly bushes for the roll bars all round. Everything is coming from the front, but best do the whole lot.
It's just a process of elimination right now. I'll start with the easy, more obvious stuff first.

I just had a look around for mounts incase i had to change them. Jap service parts.co.uk were by far the cheapest i could find for genuine Honda mounts. I've thought about inserts, but i'm not sure i could be bothered with the vibrations. The car is only a toy, but i don't really have any plans to go mad with the power.

I realise you posted this a month ago, but i thought it might be handy info if you hadnt got around to things yet.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul that was handy because I have a little knock from the front when going over small bumps. It could as well be my drop links

Kindest Regards, EP3TBP

Thanks Paul that was handy because I have a little knock from the front when going over small bumps. It could as well be my drop links

Kindest Regards, EP3TBP

Ebay item number for decnt droplinks- 161192456620.
HONDA CIVIC 2.0 TYPE R EP3 2 FRONT 2 REAR MEYLE HD STABILISER DROP LINK LINKS. £44.90 delivered

I did think about buying Hardrace links, but i can't justify £100 quid on droplinks when i'm offshore 5 months of the year and i don't drive hard.
These are German made and seem to get good reviews. That's the cheapest i could find for all 4.

All the best,

Paul

Does anyone have experience with the Meyle drop links? I'm also looking to replace at least the fronts but I read on some other forums that in a particular case the Meyle drop links lasted less than a year on a civic. No idea how it was driven and if they were properly installed and so on.

Hi Eddie,
I haven't found any info relating to the reliability of these droplinks.
I've taken a chance buying them, but at 40 odd quid for all 4, I'm not too concerned.
If they are indeed German items, they should be ok. As for instillation, I really can't see how anyone could go wrong ?
Its 1 nut top and bottom. Simple as that.
I only do 3k a year in the Civic, so I'll take my chances. Genuine Honda is prob the way to go if your doing big miles, but I just couldn't justify the money for such a part.

Cheers

Hey

Thanks buddy, I've changed all mounts to upgraded Street mounts. The genuine mounts on my car were so badly worn that the engine was leaning and it was knocking going over small bumps. After getting them changed the car pulls fantastic as the engine now is so stable. Yes I have a bit of vibration on the car but I see it as my own vibrating bucket seats which is pretty comfortable

Kindest Regards, EP3TBP

Hi there,

just wondering as I'm about to upgrade my mounts aswell, I've noticed on the INNOVATIVE Engine Mount that goes on the driver side doesn't let you reconnect the wire that was secured to the original mount.

Did you reconnect the wire somewhere else?

Cheers

So, what did you buy in total ?
Did you replace all 4 mounts ?

Not that im looking to change mine.
Just curious, incase I need to change I the future.

Cheers !

Back