• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Honda Civic, won't start

Hello, I'm new hear I was wondering on some advice. We have a 55 plate honda civic 2.2CDTi Sport. We've had it about 10 months, about 3 weeks ago after a trip to the shop it refused to restart, showing a fault on the computer, after several trys the fault cleared, over the next few days it did similair thing until eventually it refused to start altogether and was recovered to the dealer by the AA, the AA man read the fault code as "Programming Error" which is vague enough to mean nothing really.

The dealership has had the car 2 weeks now and has replaced a steering sensor, the fuse box and is today replacing the entire ECU in a hope it will fix it (personally I think it's probably an O2 sensor in the exhaust or a sensor inside the engine, but I'm not a honda technician).

Now I am fully aware of my rights under the law as a consumer, but Honda seem unwilling to discuss settlement at this time saying the car will be repaired, as 2 weeks have passed I think it unlikely but under law need to give them "reasonable time" to make the car fit for purpose, threatening court action at this stage seems a little excessive.

My question is whether anyone has had a similair fault on their Civic, whether anyone has had a replacement car from honda or ever reached any type of settlement when a car has not be made fit for purpose in a reasonable time.

Sorry my first post couldn't be more friendly or uplifting! But I really need my car back, 2 weeks in a Honda Jazz is no fun I can tell you!

Welcome to the forum mate. To suggest settlement on the car after it's been in the garage for 2 weeks seems a little absurd to me. Did they give you a courtesy car?

Thanks mate.
What do you think is a reasonable time. The hire car I have is a little on the small side for my requirements.
We have been to pick up this car on 3 seperate occasions, assured the problem was resolved, the car then failed to start again on the forecourt. Recently when we have been ringing to find out about the situation we have been given conflicting stories.

Where abouts are you located? Someone might be able to recommend a better dealership for you to try based on previous experience themselves.

Thanks for the advice.

The ECU has been fitted and fingers crossed appears to have been the fault.
They have redeemed themselves and have offered a decent compensation package.

So I am now if it continues to start happy and glad to have my civic back :cool:

Back