• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Honda FN2 08 Reg - Drive Shaft Question

Hey folks how's it going?

So I'm picking up a nice 08 plate next week, looks in great condition but one thing that came to mind was the drive shaft on the FN2s which I hear was the same for the EP3s, they apparently get quite weak over time and it's a common problem that the drive shaft pops eventually when shifting from high rev 1st into 2nd gear?

So I'm thinking the first upgrade to do asap really even if there's no problem with the current factory fitted drive shaft would be to buy the J&R drive shaft parts and pay for a mechanic to get it swapped, what's you thoughts should I be concerned about getting that done asap to avoid a common problem like that or not so much?

thanks!

I've heard this loads of times but after 3 EP3's and knowing a few people with Type R's I have never known anyone who's driveshafts have gone on them. Maybe others can share their experiences but I don't really think driveshafts are a major weak point.

Suppose it depends on what you are using the car for as well, drag racing, for example, may put more stress on the driveshafts especially if running big power but for daily, fast road or the occasional track day I think you would be fine.

Control arms I have heard of going, mine was very close, caught it in time, easy to miss because they seem to rust from the top through meaning you don't always see it from looking underneath the car. Maybe people are mistaking the control arms rotting through for the driveshafts failing.

I would say do your normal checks to make sure it's a good example but it wouldn't be a concern on the top of my list.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I've heard this loads of times but after 3 EP3's and knowing a few people with Type R's I have never known anyone who's driveshafts have gone on them. Maybe others can share their experiences but I don't really think driveshafts are a major weak point.

Suppose it depends on what you are using the car for as well, drag racing, for example, may put more stress on the driveshafts especially if running big power but for daily, fast road or the occasional track day I think you would be fine.

Control arms I have heard of going, mine was very close, caught it in time, easy to miss because they seem to rust from the top through meaning you don't always see it from looking underneath the car. Maybe people are mistaking the control arms rotting through for the driveshafts failing.

I would say do your normal checks to make sure it's a good example but it wouldn't be a concern on the top of my list.

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll leave it as is then until there's a problem or a flag up on an MOT.

No problem, my EP3 is a 2004 and apart from the usual surface rust the driveshafts are solid.

No problem, my EP3 is a 2004 and apart from the usual surface rust the driveshafts are solid.

Nice, they both look like fun as hell drives so looking forward to it.

Do you know of any decent bluetooth kits or something like that so I can hook up my phone spotify to play music through the FN2 speakers?

Not heard of this on the FN2.
One thing that can happen is for the shaft to snap where the rubber vibration damper sits as water gets under it and rusts through the shaft.
Not a common fault but no fun - J&R probably best replacement if it does happen.

One gear related issue is the synchro between 2nd & 3rd that can pop out of third if not engaged fully.
Think this was restricted to early models from 2007 but could affect 2008 ones I suppose.

Look under the arm rest and see if it has the USB and AUX sockets as that might give you a way of connecting phone directly.
Early ones did not have them and can't remember when they were added.

Look under The Red H forum on here and see Loxy's FN2 buying guide if you haven't already.

Back