• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hondata airbox mod or cheaper induction kit? Anything to add power re: exhaust?

I would like to make a few small performance oriented changes to my 2004 EP3 Type R but I'm no huge fanboy of big names and I am not willing to spend 300 quid on an induction kit.

So quite simply, am I better off doing the Hondata airbox mod and some extra cold air feed ducting etc or is there an induction kit on the market for 150 quid or so which will add a couple of BHP?

If so, if you could recommend the best induction kit I could try that would be great.

Obviously if they give no gains apart from noise then I'm not too interested really and the Hondata mod would thus seem the best bet.

Secondly I have an unsilenced Magnex cat back system, I think it sounds pretty good, it's quite deep and not raspy which I am glad about - it was on the car when I got it.

Would a different catback system net me more BHP at all? Or how about one of these 2.5" centre pipes instead of the standard straight through Magnex 2.25" pipe?

Thanks guys, just want to add a couple of small power related additions to start with :)

im 90% sure that without mapping induction kits give no real gains. However hondata airbox costs nothing, and if it goes wrong there are OEM airboxes on here for 20 sheets

Thanks for the reply mate, if the airboxes are cheap and plentiful I'll buy one and do it to that as and when, good plan methinks :) Cheers!

Anyone think swapping to a bigger bore centre pipe may add some difference?

i think again without mapping it wont do alot. IIRC correctly induction, decat and exhaust when mapped give 230/240BHP, without the map i think you just run really lean. Im sure someone will come along and confirm if im being an idiot.

Yeah I gather good results would come with something like K100 and mapping.... something to consider in the future. But, big chunk of dosh! lol.

If I can add anything without manifolds and decats for the time being it'd be good, even if it's better throttle response if not more power :)

hmmm, well i got a gruppe m recently. not sure how much performance difference it has made but it sounds amazing. Maybe a little free moving around the revs, if you want more response and your getting your clutch done soon you could go for a lighter flywheel

im personally going down the other route, im sorting out all my chassis, suspension and brakes first

My cars just about to hit 70k so clutch may be due before long... I was under the impression the flywheel was pretty light in the facelifts?

I also want to get mine lowered, I was just gonna do ABP/Eibach 30mm springs but I am quite fussy and I know it'll turn into a 750 quid job with new top mounts, ARB drop links, bushes and so on :( nevermind adjustable camber bolts, arms, hoping my shocks are ok... lol I hate cars.

they are lighter, but you can still go lighter. and im looking for a FL flywheel :p. aha. yeah i know how you feel, i have a MASSIVE pile of EP3 bits on my tool box waiting to be fitted. But want to do everything at once.

I bet thats an expensive pile of bits then lol, I am a bit sad and going OTT with servicing and need to do my valve clearances too... so am getting the servicing and that outta the way, then some simple mods such as airbox/b-pipe if worth swapping, then lowering.

I don't think I wanna go too mad as the car is pretty good out of the box and it's a never ending spiral of expenditure if you go mad chasing power and stuff haha, great motors though!

that is all true, and yep it is. Tool box was new to fit them with as well. aha. Im keeping all my standard bits then when I sell on the car ill make it back to standard and sell the other bits

I've just done the hondata airbox mod, combined with a spoon drop-in filter. The effect is subtle, you may not notice it if you didn't know it had been done. Having said that, there is a small increase in noise, and it does seem to rev a little better. I'm planning a cunning piece of ducting next.

Cheap and cheerful. You may as well give it a go.

Definitely worth a shot, thanks for the feedback :) A bit of extra noise is a bonus.

Not sure if it's worth drilling the airbox at all if fitting a cold feed to the drilled area? Moreso for noise but want to avoid heatsoak obviously, the exhaust is noisy enough on it's own really :)

I've been wondering the same:. Where is the best place to get the cold air from? And where should it enter the box?

I might try and pickup a couple spare boxes and do some experimenting, perhaps a sacraficial bonnet too. For now the next step is making the airflow inside the box super smooth, I'll dig out the fiberglass soon as I can.

Back