• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

hondata airbox mod

does anybody have a how to or a web site that tell you how to do it, as i have a piper cross viper on my car at the mo which it W**K! and i am after trying this 1 as there is nothing to loose

I have the airbox there waiting just not to sure how to do it lol,

Cheers

Matt

P.S sorry if there is already 1 of these but i couldn't find it

DSCN0457.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

Nice 1 thanks very much for the pics, does it make the car sound any different??? as i love the sound of the pipercross but it is just poo!!

no measureable difference from the front, the exhaust note changes slightly but that is all. It's the best option other than a gruppe m or ITG though imo...the rest are a waste of money...

disclaimer: All of my induction opinions are based on the fact that the AEM CAI is just too risky...apart from the risk of water ingestion it is without doubt the best bang for buck kit out there, but impending catastrophe forbids me to consider it as a worthwhile option.. :)

What happened to the left hand side of the box near the air filter? Was that not supposed to be cut open and not sealed up? Or did something go wrong?

What happened to the left hand side of the box near the air filter? Was that not supposed to be cut open and not sealed up? Or did something go wrong?

Inside an unmodified OEM airbox, there are loads of fins. The Hondata mod is where these fins are removed using a dremel or something similar. The theroy behind this is that the air is then allowed to move freely and quickly around the filter increasing intake efficiency.

It looks like this owner has sanded the fins right back and filled to make the surface as smooth as possible to reduce drag and turbulant air flow. translated, it means he has not done a half arsed attempt :lol:.

The box has been left open to illustrate the modification.

oh right I understand the picture now that you explained. I thought he was meant to cut through to make a gap in the air box. Didnt noticed in the illustration it was telling you to cut the flaps off.

done it last night, and i think the car it abit quicker, throttle responce i awsome but i do miss the sound of the viper but o well =D

done it last night, and i think the car it abit quicker, throttle responce i awsome but i do miss the sound of the viper but o well =D

you could change the filter out for a box of kellogs frosties and it would stil be better than the piperdross viper..:cool:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like it how the website says you need:

10 mm and 8mm socket
Hand held hacksaw
Side cutter pliers
About an hour

An hour!! lmfao!! I've got blisters and my hands are throbbing and I've not got the middle bit done yet... :(

Been at it about 90 minutes!

I'm going to borrow a Dremel in the week and do that properly and neaten it up a bit:

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01982.jpg

Broke one of the fins in the middle as well, but as far as I can tell they don't do anything. They're on the clean side of the filter and they don't touch the inside of the filter, so I think they're just there to stop the filter falling over while you put the top half back on... Ho hum!!

I used the drill to make holes and joined the dots with the hacksaw.

All I can say is I'm glad this is a spare box I've got from my wife's car! :lol:

so far so good, don't worry about the fin in the middle, they don't do or touch anything. When you do the last bit do not go too deep or you will break through to the underside, leave a lip that rises gradually to the outside edge.

have a close look at this one, this was a success, the one before it wasn;t...lol

DSC00233.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When you do the last bit do not go too deep or you will break through to the underside, leave a lip that rises gradually to the outside edge.

:lol: Yeah I've read that! I think as long as the majority of it is out of the way that's the main point. I'll not be going too close!!

Back