• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

hondata airbox mod

I am sorta looking forward to getting this mod on my car.

I've got a < 1000 mile OEM filter at the moment as the car has just had it's 50k service but when I've recovered financially from drunken ebaying that JDM red carpet and getting the B-pipe I'll be getting a drop in K&N filter.

Only reasoning behind that is I've got all of the cleaning spray and oil and I've always used K&N. Even had them on my 1.3i Ka and on my 1.25 Fiesta! :p The Fiesta sounded mean, but was all mouth and no trousers! :evil: I didn't get chance to put one on my Saxo before the cylinder head gasket went and I traded it in quick sharp against the 'Festa'.

Saying that though I'm not sticking a 57i kit or typhoon on my car for toffee! Was tempted by an Apollo for a while, but this hondata mod will do until I've saved for a Gruppe M.

Right finally done. I can't say I can feel much difference. I thought I could at first, and I've either very quickly got used to it or I imagined it at first.

Still though it cost nothing except a few hours and a stiff back from kneeling over the box for a couple of hours... :mad:

Hardest part about from cutting the box was getting the cold air feed back onto the bottom half of the box. I've only got small hands but didn't want taking the induction hose off so it was a bit fiddly. All done now though!

Finished:
DSC01988.jpg

In:
DSC01991.jpg

Old one out ready to do it all over again for the wife's car...
DSC01993.jpg

Oh and one last picture just in case anyone has ever wondered what it looks like or what is under the airbox.... tada!!
DSC01989.jpg

It's a gearbox and linkages!! That will be why the bottom of the standard airbox is so thick, to keep the heat out!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, the hardest part is the bottom air feed pipe. I attached mine with the top section reattached, which was probably even harder than the way you done it :(

I'm giving this a crack on Saturday whilst I save some monies for a Maxogen kit. I have a Dremel at the ready so hopefully it won't be too time consuming or difficult, but these things rarely go to plan.

I did this mod last week it took a few hours and honestly, after driving it about this week, I can only feel a little more power in the 7-8000 mark. in saying that I am still using the oem filter so I guess with an aftermarket 1 it'll give a bit more kick. I also took the time while I had the box out, to put aluminium tape on the lower half of the box to try reflect some of the heat away from the box. not sure if it made a difference or not but its no harm.

Attachments

• DSC00468.jpg
    DSC00468.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00470.jpg
    DSC00470.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 76
I might have a go at this over the weekend?

Bit worried i might fook something though?

Just don't cut through the bottom of the box or through the recess that comes up between the two chambers and you'll have done an excellent job!

To be honest if you do mess it up and the worst happens and you do go through the bottom of the air box the filter will still stop any dirt getting into the inlet. As long as you don't cut the top of the box or the middle of where the filter sits, your car will be OK until you get a replacement bottom section. It will just mean the filter gets dirtier and clogged up quicker.

I left a huge margin on my box compared to the pic at the start of this thread and if you think of what's going to happen with the airflow, it won't make a huge difference. You can see on my bottom pic where I had marked to cut it and when I got to where I did I thought, 'You know I'm happy with not chopping any more off!!'

His box:
DSC00233.jpg

My box:
DSC01988.jpg

Give it a go and see how you get on!!!

Ive done it, knackered my Dremel though :lol:

Ive left the ridges on the left side on as i was running out of time. I took it for a spin and i think it sounds louder? I cant remember what it sounded like before now :lol:

It did feel quicker but i know thats the placebo effect that came with it. If it gives me extra ponies for an hours work and a damaged eye then it cant be bad. :D

that looks good, what are your thoughts on the air filter? ive not heard of blueprint filter before?
cheers

No idea but it's free so no loss giving it a go.

The ad also says they'll knock off the postage if you send them in your old airbox which seems mighty reasonable!

what about the division in the top of the box??.. anyone thought about cutting this out also.. I know you would need to be real careful not to break into the inlet pipe section but I am sure it can be done....

Questions
- does this disturb the airflow in the box?
- would this make any difference??.. there is a large black box in front so removing the division may not be worth it..

Just a thought

Got mine done today, took alot longer than 1 hour haha, not 100% sure if its made any difference but it can't hurt I guess, I used a k&n filter.

I done this a while ago, I think it's ok I think there is a slight difference but it won't light your arse on fire. I used an ITG filter and got a CAF going to the front grill.

Back