• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

hondata mod

Did the Hondata mod on my airbox today with my dremmel multi. Defo a difference in response and a bit more growl. Can see how its restricted a good bit. :)

The majority of folk who have done this seem to think it is a load of bollox.

Never tried it myself (in the past) so can't say from a personal point of view.

well iv had the car two weeks and thought it sounded pretty **** standard. There is a bit more induction noise (not a lot) and as said the response feels different. If it didnt make a difference why would so many big tuning companies be saying to do it? Even the local tuning company near me HYPER-TEC in Bonnybridge said thats the way to go . Feck spending 700 quid on a filter for noise and a few more ponies. So i dont think its all in the head, common sense says the car is restriced a little and the changes alters things.

The difference is nolt noticable apart from maybe a little induction noise. Worth while free mod imo.

The thing you need to remember is that this an airbox for a hot hatch, not a formula one motor car. It's not a precise art, so removing some of the strengthening spines is only going to make minor gains at best. If Hobda were trying to be as precise as possible when it comes to getting laminar air flow to the filter, they wouldn't have designed a square airbox. The box is obviously good enough for a ctr, but the design is far from perfect.

I love it how someone comes on with 7 posts and then questions peoples opinions who have had Type R's for years.:rolleyes:

You could take your car out on two separate days in different temperatures and the car would respond/ sound different.

As Jermal says, I'm sure Honda wouldnt have missed out on something so simple.
I'd imagine for every one good reason for doing it there's a bad reason.

FYI, this mod, if done propperly will give a slight increase in throttle response and induction noise.

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING that reduces friction in an engine will increase power. This is no exception as the airflow through the airbox is less restricted, therefore less firction, less power lost trying to suck air through an over complicated airbox. It is however very minimal and will only reflect the quality of the work carried out. Ie, if you leave big dirty burrs and sharp edges you will be spoiling the airflow and it doesn't take much to induce a significant amount of turbulance into the airflow.

Classic car modification 101. Even Vissard would approve.

You're not reducing friction in the engine by doing this. The principle is to create a better linear airflow so it goes directly to the engine and not bouncing around the airbox picking up heat as it goes. Well that's the science behind it anyway, but like I've said before, it's not formula one technology we're dealing with here is it.

Back