• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HOT Croft Track Day 2/9/06

Limited places left!

Please sign up quickly to take part!

Its a fantastic opportunity to get on track at a premier race circuit!

You'll share it with just 15 other Hondas (Well below the normal numbers)

If anyone is thinking about doing a track day, make sure it's a HOT one for your first! They are very very relaxed and friendly, everyone helps each other out and has a wicked time!

I'd be at this one if I wasn't on holiday so lets fill these spots up people!

HASNIC said:
If anyone is thinking about doing a track day, make sure it's a HOT one for your first! They are very very relaxed and friendly, everyone helps each other out and has a wicked time!

As Nick said if you are looking for your first track day, Steve, Sare will look after you, peeps are there to help you get the most out of your day, and as Nick is on Holiday you do not need to watch out for a off white DC2 drifting into the corner behind you :wink: :lol:

Friendy said:
HASNIC said:

As Nick said if you are looking for your first track day, Steve, Sare will look after you, peeps are there to help you get the most out of your day, and as Nick is on Holiday you do not need to watch out for a off white DC2 drifting into the corner behind you :wink: :lol:

No, just the loon in the civic grinning like a nutter ;)

A cracking day was had at Croft. It you can be as*ed then please read on, if not just look at the pix :lol:

As promised here's my view of the rather damp day at Croft. (just read it back and its a bit long:exclamation:)

As we had the week off work, we decided to head "oop north" early and see some friends and explore the North Yorkshire Moors and doo a bit of camping. Friday was glorious as this pic (taken at about 5.30pm) shows. I'd seen the weather reports for Saturday so new it would be wet at some point - I just forgot that they have proper rain north of Birmingham:wink2:

yjyig5.jpg

Shortly after arriving at the oh so quiet race circuit the rain started and just got progressively heavier as the day went on..

First off, sign on was a very relaxed process and passengers signing on for free:bigsmile: Great idea as Sophie was dying to get out on track but unsure if she'd like it so didn;t want to waste £10-20 for potentially 1 lap. So happy days so far.

Driver briefing by Helen (?) was just as relaxed with newbies staying back for a extra chat at the end. A basic over view of the circuit (how many corners:shocked2:!!), where to watch for standing water and surface changes, which flags would be used on the day but above all, the emphasis that we were there to enjoy ourselves and the Croft team would offer as much help as they possibly could. I thought this was a real difference from the guys at Donny (very direct and strict with the rule books - but still a good crowd), the guys at MSV (a little more friendly but incredibly safety minded - 45 min briefing, bus ride laps, safety car laps before being let loose on your own)

LoT (understandably) had the first 2 20 min sessions and then it was our turn. 2 laps behind the safety car (a 5 door maroon Clio???) and then we're off. I was last out and had the pleasure of watching Moz try some very different lines as the track got wetter and wetter with standing water appearing on the straights. Aquaplaning at 90-95 was too much fun so I started to "think" about easing off on part of the track. Eventually I passed Moz as I was starting to focus on him and not what I was doing..... and then all to soon the session ended.

As the morning progressed the track just got wetter and wetter, Sophie elected to sit the 2nd session out in the pits and took all of the following pix from the pit lane. We didn't snap any more after this as one soaking in the aid of forum photography was enough:shocked2::tumble:

yjyi5f.jpg

yjyi5s.jpg

yjyi57.jpg

yjyi58.jpg

yjyi5c.jpg

By the 3rd session the standing water was nearly everywhere, my Bridgestone Pot's RE040's was starting to struggle big time and with only 3-4 mm tread they just were not clearing the water meaning that the hairpin was now a 3rd gear corner and worse still from the apex of Barcroft all the way to the braking point for Sunny In was a 65mph passenger ride....
By now the pitlane conversation was heading towards calling it a day so lunchtime was a welcome distraction.

After lunch the clerk and head instructor did a few laps and reported that the wind had picked up but the track was a little "dryer" (read as the depth of water had reduced to less than an inch in most places!!) So off we all went again!!

yjyi5a.jpg

yjyi5b.jpg

The puddles didn't seem any more shallow and the pit straight was just crying out for someone to throw it into the wall and then I had a cunning plan, the S2K in our group was on my tail and seemed to be clearing the water quite well and had nice big rear boots, so I let him past after Sunny Out and followed his tyre tracks down the pit straight - perfect!! Not too much aquaplanning, except for when it came to stopping -the ABS was working overtime all day but this time I think it just run out of options. Thankfully I pulled it up in time and made the turn through the river into Clervaux and decided not to try that again:rolleyes:

After this session the Croft team decided an early ending was sensible and as a lot of the LoT drivers had left, we had a final mixed session. The Honda Gods must have been watching us as the rain all but stopped and the track drained really quickly, meaning that the last session was a chance to push the car again. For me it was the best session of the day and I felt like I was driving and not just tip toeing around. I think we had a couple of spinners but nothing major and no contact with anything solid :spin:

All in all a very wet but bloody fun day. Considering my worn tyres and standard suspension I was more than pleased with the cars performance but still a little bit jealous of the fettled machinery that I let passed on numerous occasions.

Well done for getting us the opportunity Steve and Sara and to the team at Croft for not ended our day too early.

Hero of the day award has to go to Mr Sara (Steve?) for attending to the resident race car all day and packing it up in the howling rain.

Stu :)

well what can i say i have never pushed the car like this in a flood i started on 25psi of boost but that prooved totaly usless as i was spining all over the place as power was coming in to fast and too hard wich was not manigable in these conditions .by session 3 i was down to 8psi wich proved a bit better but still had some spining going on but hey i enjoyed myself and was happy how car performed in the wet ..

i dont think the sound marshall was happy with me lol as he was waiting for me when i pulled back in

roll on the next track day but in the dry

Well done XOMotorsport that was some driving to get that amount of power round the Croft lake :roll:

Was a truly excellent day and my first real wet event. The water seems to have done something to my cars electrics but then I did have a mini swimming pool in the car (must leak goes all the trim is missing :lol: :cry: :lol: )

DSCF0741.jpg

DSCF0736.jpg

More pics at
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/Hondasontrack/

Good post, Stu. And well done to the organisers and attendees... a bit of rain obviously didn't dampen the day. :D

Back