• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How do I know if I have LSD Differential?

As the Title suggest, how can i tell if i have an LSD. This is my 2nd CTR and the steering on this one seems completley different. I get a different feeling - like a little like torque steer, but isn't. Admittedly i havent yet put my foot down too much - car has the worst tyres that a type R could have - i am running Toyos T1R at the front and something called Autogrip at the rear - soon to be changed to Goodyear F1.

Is there any test i can make to see if it has?

If i don't have a differential - what would you recommend? Mfactory, Quaffe or OEM JDM?

If you find an empty car park and set off sharpish turning left or right, so much so that you get a decent bit of wheel spin.

If you leave two black lines you have a LSD. If it leaves one you don't.

I have a Wavetrac LSD and can highly recommend them.

TDi North had an offer on, cant remember how much was off it, but it was a good deal. Fitted too.

jack the front of the car up, put the car in neutral and spin the wheel. If both wheels spin in the same direction, it has LSD. If they spin in different directions = no lsd ...

jack the front of the car up, put the car in neutral and spin the wheel. If both wheels spin in the same direction, it has LSD. If they spin in different directions = no lsd ...

I did think of saying this but some LSDs don't work well under zero load situations, so this has the potential not to work. Well more specifically torque biasing diffs.

100% guarantee it does have an LSD if it does move both wheels in the same direction though! :lol:

So, today I got the JDM diff fitted and as a precaution, the clutch was changed.
The release bearing was noisy and the springs in the plate were loose. This has shown that the car has had hard standing starts. Tom at TGM was very honest, and gave me the clutch with discount.
So far, feels nice. Need to get the geo done now.

Cheers for the update! ;)

You'll need some dry weather to give it a good test too!

Loxy is the oem fn2 LSD just as good as the quaife/wavetrack? There is one for sale at a lot less than those mentioned.

It isn't supposed to be as agressive as the aftermarket ones and is an unknown quantity if you are considering charging or turbo'ing your car being as the loads it can withstand are unknown long term.

If it's cheap and you are staying NA it should be fine however!

Not sure what handling characteristics I am looking for. Will soon find out. ;)

And yeah, I'm staying NA.

Back