• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How do you change the standard HU for an aftermarket one?

SpaceMonkey

Midget Wannabe
Been having a nosey about & it looks a pig of a job tbh :(

Any help, guides or volunteers? :lol:

Its easy :lol:

Do you know how to remove the centre console?

Just push the gaitor in and grab the bottom of the console, ease it up and pop that bit off....Disconnect the cig lighter and hazard button....theres two screws that hold the top section in, undo these and then the top part will ''hinge'' up, pull this out...and you can disconnect all the heater controls etc (just single wire plugs).

Then just undo the screws holding the headunit in, place in new one (with an ISO adaptor) .... and replace..

Sorry its brief, just off to work...if you need any more help pm / msn me

Found this;

http://www.twiglet.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=15972

When i did mine i was a bit worried but it only took about 45 mins, was a piece of pea.
One thing to remember is to take the CD out of you original h/u cos if you don't you won't realise until after you've finished and then you'll have to take out your new on just so you can plug in the old one to press eject! :oops: :lol:

ps- you don't need to remove the gear knob. :wink:

pps - When removing the bottom of the console (the bit around the gear stick) the clip in the top left corner is quite tight so becareful not to stress the plastic.
:wink:

same, everyones cautious when they first do it...

I can change my centre console in about 2 minutes flat now (no joke! :oops: )

Thanks again Neily & Dynax.....might have a pop @ this over the weekend if I feel brave enough......but as I'm picking the car up today, I'll leave the standard HU in & use it as an excuse to buy a few albums I've been wanting....teehee.

Thanks Lads :wink:

Let me know if you want help mate and I'll help you fit (im from Croydon), its dead easy though ;)

- Kevin.

moNoKnoT said:
Let me know if you want help mate and I'll help you fit (im from Croydon), its dead easy though ;)

- Kevin.

Thanking you Kevin :wink:

Might take ya up on that one my man

SpaceMonkey said:
moNoKnoT said:

- Kevin.

Thanking you Kevin :wink:

Might take ya up on that one my man

Let me know, i've had my dash out loads of times and I'm not too far from you :D

- Kevin.

moNoKnoT said:
Let me know, i've had my dash out loads of times and I'm not too far from you :D

- Kevin.

Nice one Kev :wink:

Already got an aftermarket jobby, but wanna put my MD HU in the CTR in the New Year :D

help ICE

Can you be a little more descriptive on how to remove the SHU.

I want to wire my IPOD to the unit and do not know how to remove the unit and B what wires I will need to link the IPOD in

Re: help ICE

jembi said:
Can you be a little more descriptive on how to remove the SHU.

I want to wire my IPOD to the unit and do not know how to remove the unit and B what wires I will need to link the IPOD in

You cant actually wire your ipod directly to the standard HU. U need a 3rd party "box" that you'll plug into the CD-changer entry at the back of the HU. They come around £90 I think.

Second option is to use of these radio transmitter that you plug in the ipod, and then tune in the right frequency on the radio. these give you CR@P quality in town.

Another option is to get a second hand stereo with AUX input, an plug your ipod directly in there. That's what I do and it's so much better.

Finally the last option is to get a new stereo with the ipod unit that will allow you to actually control the ipod from the stereo... but that'll be at least £300-£400... ouch.

Back