• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How easy it it to fit my Magnex backbox?

Just had my exhaust arrive and wondered how easy it would be to fit myself or with Ben's help?

Is there anything in particular we need to fit it? Tols/ sealant etc?

Cheers

Should be easy enough. The only difficult part will be to get the standard back box of the rubber mounts. It can be a pain in the arse. It's easier when hot but watch your hands so you don't burn yourself.

Tools Needed: 12 socket and ratchet, some WD40, exhaust assembly paste

Nat, from the backbox u will see 2 bolts with springs around them, you need to undo these first.

when u have take them out you will be able to free the pipe. If you spray some WD40 on the 2 rubber exhaust mounts if will make them easier to remove and refit. Slide the rubers off the backbox by pushing them towards the rear bumper while pulling the backbox towards the front of the car.

Before fitting the magnex, spray a bit more WD40 on the rubbers to aid fitting. Slide the Magnex mountings back into the rubbers. Its a good idea to spear the end of the 'B' pipe with some exhaust assemble paste to help it seal. (can get this from Halfords) Locate the backbox pipe into its hole.
Refit the 2 bolts with the springs and tighten. Adjust the rubbers to make sure the box is alinged with the bumper.

Polish the backbox and take some pics, and host them on the forum :D

Quality 'how-to' there 8)

Just one thing to add - getting the mounting 'prongs' out of the rubbers will be a lot easier if you push a thin flat-bladed screwdriver in between the prongs and the rubber to lever the rubber away from the metal, then spray WD40 into the gap. Do this in a few places around each of the prongs, so you've broken any adhesion between rubber and metal. Then it'll be easier to pull the rubber mounts off.

HTH?

Black R said:
Tools Needed: 12 socket and ratchet, some WD40, exhaust assembly paste

Nat, from the backbox u will see 2 bolts with springs around them, you need to undo these first.

when u have take them out you will be able to free the pipe. If you spray some WD40 on the 2 rubber exhaust mounts if will make them easier to remove and refit. Slide the rubers off the backbox by pushing them towards the rear bumper while pulling the backbox towards the front of the car.

Before fitting the magnex, spray a bit more WD40 on the rubbers to aid fitting. Slide the Magnex mountings back into the rubbers. Its a good idea to spear the end of the 'B' pipe with some exhaust assemble paste to help it seal. (can get this from Halfords) Locate the backbox pipe into its hole.
Refit the 2 bolts with the springs and tighten. Adjust the rubbers to make sure the box is alinged with the bumper.

Polish the backbox and take some pics, and host them on the forum :D

just to add something

would be better to jack up car use axle stand if you dare

a bit more room under there to work :wink:

Instead of WD40 for the rubber mounts, use Fairy Liquid, it works even better, and is kinder on the hands :D

Of course the WD is better for the bolts :)

G said:
Instead of WD40 for the rubber mounts, use Fairy Liquid, it works even better, and is kinder on the hands :D

Of course the WD is better for the bolts :)

PMSL - thanks G and thanks again Chris :smt023

Thank you so much Guys- this is a really good guide of how to :smt023

Will give it a go and let you all know how I get on ...... just have to decide whether or not to have my birthday prezzie now or on my Birthday next month..... :?

.........and of course ask that lovely mechanic who lives with me if he will help me fit it :wink: :lol:

Foxy red said:
Thank you so much Guys- this is a really good guide of how to :smt023

Will give it a go and let you all know how I get on ...... just have to decide whether or not to have my birthday prezzie now or on my Birthday next month..... :?

.........and of course ask that lovely mechanic who lives with me if he will help me fit it :wink: :lol:

** Draws in sharp intake of air thruogh his teeth ****

OOOH I Dont Know LOve............... Not sure I have the parts on the van you see................. might need a special journey to our special depot............................

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You WERE talking about me right?............... Nat................ right? :( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :p

Back