• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How long to fit LSD?

Hi guys,

Ive searched, but couldn't find what Im after

I was just wondering how long you would expect it to take a garage to fit a LSD?

Got a quote saying they need the car for 2 days... Just thinking if I can go without my car for 2 days (as its my daily driver) or are they over compensating just not to disappoint me?

cheers

Grinspeed had my car in for two days to fit an LSD, a new clutch, braided brake lines, new front pads and a full service. There were two of them on the second day though, that's when they did the gearbox stuff.

Eightspeed did mine within a day, got there for 8.30, he arrived at 9ish, done by 6pm. That was with brake lines and full service also.

just been onto the phone to Honda Performance, and they said I'll need replacement bearings and shims... but they said you dont know which shims until your putting it in???

so I have to buy ALL the shims, just to make sure I dont get the right one? lol sounds abit mental, surely it would be the same for all? and then send the others back?

BS. It's good practice to do the bearing (circa £40 IIRC). They should provide shims, and return whatever they don't use. If they're not willing to do this then they're not worthy of the job IMO.

Yeh this is just what Honda Performance said, obvious they are miles away from me so was thinking of buying off them and getting fitted locally, so would need all shims just incase?

Think ill give Eightspeed/TDi a call and travel down for them to fit it! :)

I never purchased any shims, they were mentioned by both TDi and Eightspeed, but did not say I had to provide them - I assume they already have them. TDi quote was significantly higher than Eightspeed by the way, I couldn't get hold of Grinspeed at the time so never had a quote but I've used them on subsequent work and he's been great. Worth getting a quote from there.

It really annoys me that, how can someone call them self hondaperformance and then not stock parts like shims for fitting diffs. How many thousands of pounds did they want and they can't provide a shim. FOAD IMO.

Sorry Hazz, i think i havn't worded it properly and you've got the wrong idea

As I am a 300ish miles away from Honda Performance.... my idea was to buy off them (turns out they are more expensive and wont be anyways) and get it fitted locally in Newcastle. They advised that its impossible to say which shim I would need, as they normally decide when they are fitting the LSD. So as I wouldn't of been getting it fitted by them, it would be down to me to get all the shims (just to be certain Ive got the one I needed) and then any which I didn't use I would return.
They do have the stock, the confusion was which one to buy!! Sorry I should have worded it abit better :lol:
It was just because I wasn't sure if my local garage would have a selection of shims or not

Obviously this is a massive ball ache with the unecessary purchases, but I didnt realise that Eightspeed / Grinspeed were roughly the same distance as TDi from me.... so I will be contacting them to supply and fit everything at once :D

Grinspeed have an offers page in their section to supply and fit an LSD, as well as other work. Can happily recommend them.

Eightspeed gave me a pretty awesome discount on parts :) Just call and ask, he was happy to do so because he was getting the labour too.

Eightspeed fitted my M Factory ATB LSD. There was no mention of shims being needed. He started mine at 9ish and finished about 3ish. There was 2 working on it though. I also had all new bearings in the box + Diff bearings and also a new clutch.

I can't praise them enough, excellent service.
A great bloke too. :)

Called Eightspeed and got myself booked in for M Factory on 16th Feb :) quite abit cheaper than Grinspeeds special offer tbh!

cant wait :D

He's a good egg! Highly recommended. There's not a right lot to do around there though, so take some reading or laptop or whatever with you.

I do not recommend the pub round the corner (and down the hill) for lunch :lol:

I took sandwiches :lol:. Tight wad :rolleyes: Stevie didn't mind me hanging around and watching. The guy who helps him is a wonder to watch. You'll see what I mean.

As al said eightspeed did all work quickly for what is actually involved and it's always a good laugh down there. :) if you like knowing what's going on with your motor it's a good watch

Last edited by a moderator:
Back