• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How loud is an unsilenced midpipe?

hi all,

how loud would an unsilenced midpipe with an otherwise standard setup be?

dont really want a full cat-back but would like to liven up the exhaust note a little! also, will any aftermarket midpipe fit to a standard back box or do they all differ?

apologies for my ignorance!

Just fitted an unsilenced Supersprint b pipe to my EP3 with an aftermarket back box......and i like it :mrgreen:

I thought it would be louder than i had expected, but normal cruising isn't too bad, a bit of a drone on the motorway but nothing that drives you mad [excuse the pun].

When you give it some stick, it makes a nice sound. It very much depends on the size of the b pipe 2.0, 2.2 or 2.5" and which back box you attach it to !

Have a look on You tube. There are plenty of video clips of varying set ups that will give you an idea.

Cheers for the replies, They sound pretty good! Is yours an unsilenced mid with all else oem bowman?

The supersprint pipe is pricy, has anyone got any experience with the blueflame or martelius mid pipes?

And would I be able to keep the oem backbox with any aftermarket mid pipe? P

Cheers for the replies, They sound pretty good! Is yours an unsilenced mid with all else oem bowman?

Yeh everything else is standard on mine mate

Im not 100% sure, but I think aftermarket b-pipes are designed to drop in without any modification? I could be wrong :p probably best for someone else to comment who has one to be safe :D

Yeh everything else is standard on mine mate

Im not 100% sure, but I think aftermarket b-pipes are designed to drop in without any modification? I could be wrong :p probably best for someone else to comment who has one to be safe :D

which midpipe have you got buddy?

Fitting unsilnced with OEM backbox will
give you nice rasp and a nice deep tone which is not too loud.

Fitting unsilnced with OEM backbox will
give you nice rasp and a nice deep tone which is not too loud.

Great, that's exactly what I'm after, just need to find the right one for the job, supersprint is a bit pricy, then there is always the custom option!
Are there any others out there?

Great, that's exactly what I'm after, just need to find the right one for the job, supersprint is a bit pricy, then there is always the custom option!
Are there any others out there?

That's for EP3 by the way mate, I'm not too sure about FN2's.

Loud mines a 2.5" with a magnex twin backbox, at 60mph its fine but 70-80 its too droning/booming and it makes you want to drive at 60 all day. I dont mind it myself but others hate it. Around town driving it gives a delightful note, I would think the sound would change alot depending on the back box too so it could be hard to describe and compare. Really would look into taking it off but I like the sound it makes from gentle pushes on the gas. I found stock was boring but I wont lie, living with the sound on the motorway trips at 4.30 am and it grows tiring.

Loud mines a 2.5" with a magnex twin backbox, at 60mph its fine but 70-80 its too droning/booming and it makes you want to drive at 60 all day. I dont mind it myself but others hate it. Around town driving it gives a delightful note, I would think the sound would change alot depending on the back box too so it could be hard to describe and compare. Really would look into taking it off but I like the sound it makes from gentle pushes on the gas. I found stock was boring but I wont lie, living with the sound on the motorway trips at 4.30 am and it grows tiring.

Yeah I don't want anything silly loud, just a nice roar, I've come from a corsa vxr so like you I find stock to be pretty boring!
I was going to keep the bock box and cat standard and just add a 2" unsilenced mid! I'm hoping that will get me what I'm after?

Yea I agree, the OEM back box muffles aswell so it will give a good note with just the pipe. On my rx8 the decat gave that sound your after with the stock back box so its a good starting place witht the mid pipe.

Unsilenced B pipe and OEM backbox is not very loud in the grand scheme of things. Lovely rorty tone though, but you will have to have your window down to really enjoy the sound, though I suppose you could say that for any exhaust - I have a straight through, fully unsilenced catback and I drive with my window down to hear it, though it does induce headaches in journeys beyond the one hour mark! If I had to go back to the unsilenced B + OEM back combo for practicality reasons, I wouldn't be too upset, as it is a lovely tone.

Back