• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How much Fuel, Trackday CTR ?

Hi all,
We have just bought a CTR as a trackday car, we have done the usual:

New engine oil and filter
Full stripdown and rebuild of calipers
Upgraded Drilled and vented disks
High temp DOT5.1
Braided Hoses
Stripped it out
Toyo R888s
Induction kit BMC (Only paid 10 quid for it thats why we are using it)

we will be going to Donnington Park in a few weeks and its our first ever trackday, and was wondering how much fuel we should bank on using ?

Its an open pitlane format, with 3 drivers, so the car will be used all day. What would be your guesses at the amount of fuel we will use ? I recon on around 120 quid ?

Also we are about to fit an Unsilenced B pipe, do you think this would pass the 98db limit ? the only other engine mods is the induction kit.

Cheers
Rich

Welcome to the forum Rich :)

It's hard to say exactly but I would have thought you would get close to using a couple of tanks throughout the day. Never been to Donnington myself but some tracks have a filling station on site and if not I'm sure there will be somewhere close by to use.

An unsilenced b pipe is probably not the best for track days. Try and get to your nearest track before when there is a track-day on and ask to be tested or find someone local who has a decibel reader to get an idea.

Just remember to keep the oil level topped right up (look into getting a baffled sump next) and enjoy yourself.

Also get yourself signed up over on Hondas-on-track.com if your not already. :)

Hi Rich,

I would say 2 tanks which is what I use around Snetterton, if you can get it into 5th or even 6th gear on the straight it helps with the mpg...to afford a beer in the evening. Running Toyo 888 will give you a huge advantage.

If it's a first ever track day then running semi slicks is a bad idea, as is running them without a baffled sump. Also keep an eye on your discs as most drilled discs are turd on track and can crack.

If it's a first ever track day then running semi slicks is a bad idea, as is running them without a baffled sump. Also keep an eye on your discs as most drilled discs are turd on track and can crack.

Yep there all good points, are you saying non drilled/grooved discs are better with say ebc pads?

Thanks guys, I will be keeping a close eye on the oil levels and yes will be getting a baffled sump in the winter.

I know what you mean about drilled disks and also will keep an eye on them, we will have the standard front disks with us so can change them if nessasarry ! I cracked a few pairs on a Saxo Vts I used to have running a big brake setup :s

The main reason we went for the Toyos is we didn't see the point in spending 400 odd quid on a descent set ''road'' of tyres only to kill them in a day, so we spent the extra in the hope they will take the extra heat and beating a little better and actually last a few track days.

Yep there all good points, are you saying non drilled/grooved discs are better with say ebc pads?

Blank or grooved are the way forward on track cars IMO, very high end 'drilled discs' are ok, but still might suffer from a shorter life span.

Thanks guys, I will be keeping a close eye on the oil levels and yes will be getting a baffled sump in the winter.

I know what you mean about drilled disks and also will keep an eye on them, we will have the standard front disks with us so can change them if nessasarry ! I cracked a few pairs on a Saxo Vts I used to have running a big brake setup :s

The main reason we went for the Toyos is we didn't see the point in spending 400 odd quid on a descent set ''road'' of tyres only to kill them in a day, so we spent the extra in the hope they will take the extra heat and beating a little better and actually last a few track days.

My issue with first time track goers and running semi slicks is you don't learn as much as being on a tyre that'll move around and they just end up allowing you to get away with bad habits, which can lead to problems when the speed actually reaches a point where you're at the limit of grip a 888 can give :).

Thanks Hasnic, again i do know what you mean, we took the car out the other day after having them fitted and could not believe the grip levels ! I know it might sound daft and you have heard it all before, but i'm confident enough with the handling of the car on the limit, although we haven't done a proper track day we have ran on an Aerodrome before albeit not in the CTR and also used to run a 6 speed 125 rotrax gokart that was just insane ! sideways every where and 110mph with your butt 1cm off the floor ! I know its totally different but i'm used to on the limit handling.

I went out with a friend 6 months ago who has a 205gti running around the 190bhp mark with the toyo R888s on and was very impressed, what i couldn't believe is people with high performance cars, M3s, GT3s etc with not a clue in what they are doing ! I am not an expert in any way, but i do know what the correct line is through a corner and the speed that can be carried through a corner. Most of the cars I witnessed weren't even at 60% of what is possible and not only that wouldn't get out the way either ! If someone is on my chuff I will move over.

So i guess we will see how it goes :)

Interesting you mention M3 drivers not having a clue, one time I went the 3 series (95 N reg with fake M badges) was thrown of the track by the marshals for blocking a faster car, (he was weaving down the straight), what a plank!

At Donington I normally use a tank in the morning then tank in the afternoon if dry.  If wet in the morning I only use half a tank as I'm not pushing though.  Ps the first corner as you come out the pits can have you sideways on cold tyres so make sure you give the 888's a lap to warm up otherwise it may get very interesting ! . Have fun and stay on the black stuff.

Back