• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How much oil does your K20 burn ?

Hey guys,
I know it's been discussing A LOT, but I'm a little bit concerned about my oil consumption. I read entire section of this forum, but I didn't find a thread gathering your experiences all-together. So I made one :)

From what I noticed, since last top up (1200 miles) I had to add like 500ml to keep it constantly on MAX. Which means, it still fits into Honda's clearance (1L/600mi), however most of you have no consumption at all !

So the question is, should I be worry about ? I'd rather ask to avoid any future problems :)

Oh, and the thing is, the oil burns within quick 'bursts', so i check it everyday in the morning just to be sure is not lower than 75% on the dipstick (in between min-max).

Generaly, the car works like a charm, just hit 75k miles, mechs say it's a very healthy unit.
I really do drive quite hard - VTEC every second day, daily driving around 5k rpm (VTEC is lowered to 4k rpm at full throttle). Of course after oil warm up (Motul 8100 5-40)

Appreciate your input!
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
My dc5 has very little consumption, probably around 100ml per 2000miles, which is roughly a couple of months worth of driving.

My dc5 has very little consumption, probably around 100ml per 2000miles, which is roughly a couple of months worth of driving.

Mine is the same. I've never had an oil thirsty K20.. I believe it's to do with how they are run in.

I use shell helix ultra 5W40.

My DC5 drank shed loads, just kept it topped up and it never missed a beat.

If they are run in lightly they will use more oil.

Try Shell Helix ultra 5W40 - and also check the oil when the engine is stone cold.

Try Shell Helix ultra 5W40 - and also check the oil when the engine is stone cold.

Always check stone cold and always try to keep it between 75-100%.
Just switched to motul 5w-40.

And this 300ml/600miles is a really hi reving driving with VTEC lowered to 4k rpm, so I assume it's not the end of the world for my k20 :) Just wanted to confirm with your experiences !
thanks !
p

My 51 plate used to use alot of oil. Both 05 plates ive had used none. I believe the first models had problems with using alot or oil.

All were k20 units so plate doesn't matter. What matters is running in + individual circumstances (from what I noticed - confirm if i'm wrong)

I topped it up when I bought the car 2/3 months ago. Travelled 3000 miles and it's still above half on the dipstick. I would say its not drinking oil at all. Is that a sign of a healthy car?

Engine oil should be checked hot.
After the engine is up to temperature, turn off the engine, leave it for 2 mins then check it.

It's a bit of a grey area. I've only ever done it when stone cold. On all my cars and I've never had an oil problem in the 15 odd years I've been driving.

I was taught this when I first joined the army and learnt how to 'first parade' vehicles.

And yes I know the manual says do it when hot but I think the best reading is given when cold as that is when all the oil is in the sump.

I'll continue doing it throughout my driving life too :lol:

Ive had my ep3 type r 2 and a half weeks has covered 85k miles with fsh. Do around 280miles a week and ive had to put a litre of oil in already. Is this ok as im quite new to type r's. Dont vtec it all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC Honda state that it's not uncommon to use 1L of oil in 800 miles. It will vary from engine to engine (as shown by the posts in this thread). Was the oil level at maximum when you purchased the car? i.e. has it actually used a litre in 280 miles. Best advice I can give is to check it on a regular basis, but that to me does seem excessive if it has used a litre in the short time you've had it.

Back