• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

how often should oil be changed?

Hi, after what sort of mileage would you change oil on a ctr as I've come across plenty and service history has alot of gaps for example oils been changed at 12-15k miles. I've been told it should be changed at 6k but others say Honda recommend it at 12k so I was wondering do people just top up oil kuz they do drink oil when vtec kicks in. Thanks in advance haz.

12 months or 12k miles which ever comes first. Some people do change every 6 months but this isn't necessary.

Oil level should be checked at least once a week.

Watch the text speak as well, it's not appreciated on here.

12 months or 12k miles which ever comes first. Some people do change every 6 months but this isn't necessary.

Oil level should be checked at least once a week.

Watch the text speak as well, it's not appreciated on here.
So cars with oil changes at 8-12k is fine then.? So it basically means people keep topping up till 12k miles I rather change at 6k to be safe to be honest thanks anyway.

Yes that's about bang on. Yea just keep topping up when you need to. If you use 5w40 it doesn't use as much.

Yeah 12500 or 12 months is the service interval for a civic type R. Be weary that a lot of people who do low annual mileage will have missed services due to the time period between them.

12500 miles or 12 months...

Whichever comes first.

So no car should go more than 12k miles, or 12 months without a service/oil change.

Some idiots change at 3k miles, believing it will protect the engine better...
If you want to change more regularly, 6k miles would be OK.
Depending on how you drive though and the grade you use, there is no reason why you shouldn't change at less than 12.5k
Modern oil is pretty good.
If you drive it hard and use thinner oil, more often would be a good suggestion.

Using 5w 40 shell helix and changing at 6k would be ok just to be safe and 3000 is to early just a waste of money on oil change.

I did 6k changes. Got every other oil service done by a garage to keep the service book up to date.

3k I would say is reasonable only if there's some heavy track use in there.

Back