• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

how strong really is the VTEC kick ?

Base on this engine performance graph, where is the big VTEC kick?

http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?Flap=Graph&ChartsID=138

around 6000 RPM there is a small jump in torque (max +6 ), but does it really going to push you into the chair or break you neck? is the VTEC kick is just an audio effect, so just because of the engine roar you think you got more power? ( like the one you get from cheap induction kits: less power + more roar -> more power illusion )

1 thing is sure: VTEC adds torque above 6000, instead of loosing it, like with normal engines where you start loosing torque >6000

just thinking ... I don't have a CTR ... yet :) .. will tell my experience when I get one ;)

You know when it kicks in, engine note changes and the revs build much faster. Out of vtec you only have around 140bhp so you can really feel the extra 50 odd ponies when they arrive.

Get in one, and all will become clear.

Mine throws my head back sometimes still and ive had it for over 2 years! This is with the remap though.

Yeah you need to own one to feel the difference, once you hit 6k rpm your body slightly holds into place while the front end roars power and you feel the extra horses thundering in.

It's what makes the civic a joy to drive

Yeah you need to own one to feel the difference, once you hit 6k rpm your body slightly holds into place while the front end roars power and you feel the extra horses thundering in.

It's what makes the civic a joy to drive

yup, argeed! I was a passenger in my own car the other day, the vtec feels scary when your not in control :p

yup, argeed! I was a passenger in my own car the other day, the vtec feels scary when your not in control :p

Ha fair play, i've never been a passenger in the 'Vtech zone' but my girlfriend say it scares the **** out of her!!!! I thought she was just being a girl but maybe it is scary i'll have to get some one to rag it with me in the passenger seat and see how it feels.:eek:

The VTEC kick is a marketing gimmick by Honda. All it really is, is a poor map, with a deliberate drop in power before the cam change over.

I had mine smoothed out after my re-map for a smoother delivery, (better acceleration), I know when im in Vtec now though due to the enigne note and torque, my max torque is at 7krpm ;) .

But before my re-map, there is a jolt when crossing over, most noticable when in third i'd say :) .

Get in one, and its obvious.

does anyone with k pro miss the vtec kick ive got gruppe m and spoon n1 thinking of k pro next but a bit worried it will take some of the fun away. :confused:

does anyone with k pro miss the vtec kick ive got gruppe m and spoon n1 thinking of k pro next but a bit worried it will take some of the fun away. :confused:

You can still have it mapped poorly if you want, but then there's really no point in shelling out over 700 notes for a different ECU and map.

You can still have it mapped poorly if you want, but then there's really no point in shelling out over 700 notes for a different ECU and map.

no mate wouldnt dream of having it maped poorly. im 90% sure i want kpro, as i think it will make the car better in real world driving. just not totally sure what to expect from it as ive never been in a ctr with it.

Its different in a K20 than in one of the old B-series engines.

I miss my EK9 :(

Still cant really complain!

.... there is a jolt when crossing over, most noticable when in third i'd say :) . [/quote]

I noticed that too, thought its a bit odd how it looses power first, mind you it wasn't like that in the b-series cars, also the vtec seems to kick harder in the b-series, is that something to do that the type r is i-vtec? so a much smoother transistion, i mean my ee9 really changes tone at 5k rpm (courtesy of APEX vtec controller :smt047 )

Back