• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How To - Change inside taillights into foglight (DC5)

After reading about using your inside taillights as fogs (and gettin sick of telling people why i only have one reverse light) I thought i'd sort mine out.
These instruction are for if your using the right hand side reverse as the fog. Bit of common sense will allow you to use them another way.
You'll Need...
Soldering Iron
Solder
Wire Cutters
Stanley Knife
Insulation Tape
Metre Length of Wire
Wire Strippers (if you need them)
Bits of cardboard

1) Remove both of these panels...
06092008237.jpg

2) Remove the plug for the inside light, the brake light wire is the yellow and black one. You can see the original green wire (bottom left) for the reverse light
06092008219.jpg

3) Cut the yellow/black wire and where you fog light (black) wire is joined to the reverse light (green). Tape back up any bare wires.
Left hand black = Fog
Left hand green = Original reverse light (supply)
Middle yellow/black = brake light
Right hand green = To reverse light lamp
06092008225.jpg

4) Put some card under where your soldering and on the floor of the boot.
You dont want this to fall on your carpet...
06092008231.jpg

5) Solder the two green ones together
Solder the leght of wire (to go to the other light) then take out about 20mm of the insulation about 50mm - 100mm up the wire and solder on a small piece and join it to the yelow/black wire. tape all on the joints with insulation tape.
Sounds abit complicated but you'll see what i mean in the pic.
06092008228.jpg

6) Now cable tie the wire to the loom going from light to light (I did cut off the ends after I took the pic)
06092008229.jpg

7) Solder this onto the other yellow/black on the other side
06092008230.jpg

And thats it, pretty simple. Should take less than a hour.

Lights will now look like this...

Reverse
06092008232.jpg

Tail lights
06092008233.jpg

Brake lights
06092008235.jpg

Fog lights
06092008236.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice How-to. I bet some of the guys here will be pleased by the clear instruction.

very good but i would recommend heat shrink sleeving as this is 100% better than insulation tape;)

My brothers old DC5 had this, very very tidy! Great write up. Much prefer this to the ones who have cut outs in the bumpers/under neath bumpers :cool:

I'm going to be doing this soon for my MOT, as my current rear fog in the reverse light is an LED and is shíte.

Here's a video link of my fog light working... (only have one converted though)...

No I'm at work and can't get access. What's the setup?
What you doing on here then? Get back to it! :p

I still have the 4 brake lights, but I suppose when the fog light is on, only 3 get brighter... wait a minute... I think I'm following. :getcoat:

What you doing on here then? Get back to it! :p
I'm at work because I'm staying here tonight and couldn't be arsed to go home on my bike which is currently shagged.
I still have the 4 brake lights, but I suppose when the fog light is on, only 3 get brighter... wait a minute... I think I'm following. :getcoat:

But when your fog is off, all 4 still light up? How do you wire this?

I'm at work because I'm staying here tonight and couldn't be arsed to go home on my bike which is currently shagged.

But when your fog is off, all 4 still light up? How do you wire this?
Fair enough. :D Yes all 4, not sure how it's wired though, I didn't do it, that's how Andy of BHP cars does it. I'm pretty sure there's another guide floating around on the DC5 site, not as comprehensive as this thread though.

Fair enough. :D Yes all 4, not sure how it's wired though, I didn't do it, that's how Andy of BHP cars does it. I'm pretty sure there's another guide floating around on the DC5 site, not as comprehensive as this thread though.

Andy had mine done also :D

Hope it passes the MOT

Back