• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 How to check coolant reservoir level - too deep?

Hi all,

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm struggling to see the level of the coolant reservoir bottle - its so far down into the engine bay. Surely people don't remove the black plastic cover along the front of the bay each time? I can just see the "MAX" letters, but definitely can't see where the level of coolant is at all.

Hopefully I'm just missing something very obvious?!

Thanks
Andrew

Hi all,

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm struggling to see the level of the coolant reservoir bottle - its so far down into the engine bay. Surely people don't remove the black plastic cover along the front of the bay each time? I can just see the "MAX" letters, but definitely can't see where the level of coolant is at all.

Hopefully I'm just missing something very obvious?!

Thanks
Andrew

Wow 68 views and no one willing to help? If anyone has checked the coolant reservoir level (i.e. every fn2 owner!!) would really appreciate if anyone is willing to share it.

Read the owners handbook? Or used a torch?

Hi - yep read owners manual and yep tried torch. I can just see the max marking but can't at all see where the blue liquid level is at (manuals says half way between min and max so will be further down from max). Do you/others unscrew the cap and take it out with the tube and check in there? rather than seeing the liquid level on the outside of the bottle (like I would do on my Integra)?

Thanks! Andrew.

It is a rubbish place to put it to be honest. It's hard to read the level and pretty inaccessible for filling without a funnel and hose.

Considering where it is, i.e. not being the top of the system, it is probably just there for thermal expansion.

Logically if you take the cap off the radiator it should flow into the reservoir if there is enough weight and pressure in the system above the reservoir. You would hope it would be designed so that doing this the reservoir doesn't overfill.

On that thinking you could just check your coolant is up to top of the radiator.

Obvious but only take the cap off when the engine is cold or there abouts. ;)

I agree rubbish alright. Obviously they just jammed it in there as an afterthought (though alot of the engine bay seems quite similar to the Jazz in position etc so wonder if it was based off that a bit).

I didn't think about it being too low to be a two-way thing - great point, so really its not too important at all to check the level in it. If coolant is up to the top of the radiator, then happy days.

It is a rubbish place to put it to be honest. It's hard to read the level and pretty inaccessible for filling without a funnel and hose.

Considering where it is, i.e. not being the top of the system, it is probably just there for thermal expansion.

Logically if you take the cap off the radiator it should flow into the reservoir if there is enough weight and pressure in the system above the reservoir. You would hope it would be designed so that doing this the reservoir doesn't overfill.

On that thinking you could just check your coolant is up to top of the radiator.

Obvious but only take the cap off when the engine is cold or there abouts. ;)

Back