• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to install a Comptech Icebox

hey guys

Finally got round in fitting my icebox over the BH weekend with my cousin so heres my instructions and review (sorry, no pics) :

Instructions

I used a combination of the fitting instructions from Comptech, Dai-tec “how to” guide, and also the one from K-Series.

It took us just under 2.5hrs to get everything done, but we wasted .5hrs putting in the correct position as 1st,3rd and 5th gear would catch the icebox feeder pipe.

Remove battery

Take out stock airbox, but you will need to keep the big long screw and also the 3 rubber grommets- cant miss them- they are the only rubber on the airbox, where the screws comes from.

To relocate the ground/earth strap, put it into 2nd gear for more space to work with. Remove the bracket that the strap was on as this is no longer required.

You should now have a clear enough space to put the air intake- although it is still quite a tight space.

Cut a bit of the splash panel rubber bit.

There is a small bracket that comes with the icebox that you fit to the end of the intake tube. Jack up the car slightly and you will see that there is a hole to fasten this bracket to the car.

Before screwing the whole icebox down- make sure you can go through all the gears, mainly 1st, 3rd and 5th. You might need to play around for a bit before screwing everything into place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reveiw

Went for a quick spin and didnt really know what to expect. The first couple of vtec, there didnt seem to be that much of a "kick" I was honestly worried that i did something wrong.

After driving around for another 15mins, the vtec wasnt really that noticiable- however, i did feel that there is no torque.

So i let my cousin drive it and OMG i not sure whether its coz he was driving harder than i was but boy was he fast

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

Reasonable happy with it but heres my question...........

Is it coz the ECU is still recognising the Icebox so thats why i cant feel the "kick"-

how long does this usually take ??

its it worth my while to pull out Fuse 6 (i think it is) to "reset" everything?

Splash panel rubber bit- my cousin cut out a MASSIVE chuck out- so much that the bar bit can be seen- would this cause any harm/damage ?

Thanks

Gary

A picture guide to support GaryMan's original post as follows:

Instructions and Review

Fitting the icebox is a doddle as long as you read the instructions, stick it in 5th and take your time. If I was to fit this again I would say I'd fit it in 50 mins.... but allow yourself around 2 hours.

The following is my guide to fit this superb piece of kit, that re-emphasises what the instructions say and what is written on k-series.com.

From OEM

To Comptech Icebox

....in 20 simple steps:

**** Instructions ****
1. Remove OEM airbox top, battery and battery base.

2. Undo airfeed intake nuts

3. Undo bolts and remove lower half of airbox

4. From clockwise - gear selector, new earthing location, current earting location with bracket.

5. A close-up of the earthing postions (current and new)

6. From here to here and discard bracket

7. Remove intake as the coldfeed pipe can be a bit fiddly - careful with the air sensor!

8. Note the new earthing position (earth wire positioned to the right)- this will now clear the gear linkage.

9. Remove rubber fixing from the OEM airbox.

10. Also remove metal inserts from OEM airbox. Install onto icebox

11. Take a break. A cup of tea and a almond croissant. Yum :D

12. Install air intake. You will need to move the water hose out of the way.

13. You have to attach a bracket to the base of the air intake to the gearbox to stop it flapping about. Clearance and lack of vision was an issue so I found jacking the car up a big help. Don't do what I did and leave it on the jack always do work when the car is secured on axle stands.

14. A view from underneath. Please note the removal of the rear of the splash guard with a stanley knife. The bracket simply secures to a gearbox nut once it has been attached to the icebox coldfeed pipe.

15. Lower car if jacked up and at this point check you do not have any interferance when changing gear. Leave back in 5th gear. Oil up the filter holding at the base to avoid crushing the filter. I applied two even coats and allowed 10 mins for it to soak in.

16. Bolt in lower half of icebox and secure coldfeed pipe with the 2 pins. Again check the gears. Attach filter to pipe and then connect to honda OEM air pipe to throttle body. Put all pipes and sesors back and secure. The pipe from the filter to the OEM airpipe does take a bit of tweaking to allow the airbox lid to close - so do not tighten jubliee clip until happy it is flush with the airbox.

17. Connect breather pipe but source a small jubliee clip - the honda clip is too large and comptech do not provide this part! Scew top cover down.

18. Before the final jubliee clip is fitted I thought I would illustrate that the build qualty is little shabby. The gap looks large but once the final jubliee clip goes on it closes up - although I was surprsed to see a jubliee clip being used as the final assembly tool on a plastic case. The left hand view before final clip in place...

19. And right hand view, again before the clip is in place.

20. Tighten jubliee clip. Reinstall battery and connect. Test all okay and ensure any tools are removed from engine bay. Hoover up so nice cold dense air :twisted:

**** Review ****

Much smoother than the OEM airbox and more ommph too. The noise in vtec is awesome - not induction-like more engine grunt and growly; subtle but 8) . Vtec pull is a huge improvement and when making good progress the pick up of the throttle is instant and the power progressive and surging.

When I mean smoother - the car feels smoother to drive, no jerkiness around 1.5k to 3k like I experienced with the K&N and BMC; plus better than the stock box.

I found this induction kit a bit oif a sod to fit but it isn't really with a bit of hindsight. The finish is okay and it doesn't score any points in the looks department. The proof is in the driving and this is a noticable improvement over the OEM on more than one level.

Back