• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How To Re-Fabric Interior Door Cards... ( Type R )

So after changing the colour of my interior ( adding a colour ) I hate the fact prem editions had red, and I want yellow.
it was a bit tricky to do at first, then I just went at it . and .... just went with it. ( if I destroyed it, I didn't mind, least I learnt )
this is the first time ive ever done a Honda civic door! which are annoying to do!

(p.s this is a rough guide, varouis outcomes are different for everyone)

Tools Needed

1. Phillip's ScrewDriver
  2. Flat headed screwdriver
  3. glue gun
  4. Drill - with various drill bits
  5. Soldering Knife (preferable , not an iron, as you want a flat edge ) ( p.s a knife heated on a hot stove ( cooker ) would work ) ( be careful )
  6. you need a lot of patience and a cup of tea from the girlfriend every 10 mins, along with her help!
  7. Fabric you want ( or if you want to spray it, fabric spray )
  8. Fabric Wadding.

so first remove your door card, there is a how to in this section its very simple .
"joe worte a good guide at this link > http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?75189-Civic-type-R-EP3-Guide-to-Swapping-Door-cards "

once its removed, drag the lump of door card in your house, or work shop
if you look from behind you will see the arm rest, is bascailly melted on. (this will take off the plastic clip aswell on the right hand side)

7pnd.jpg

we want to use a thin drill piece to drill these off. which would result in this.
4apx.jpg

Next what I found out was, that its a plastic moulding which they have "glued" fabric on too.
my plan was to try glue fabric on it , but it wouldn't work well.

so I took the next step.
bascailly get your soldering knife hot. and you want to trim all around the edge. very slowly. as if you go to deep. you will ruin the good side of it.

once its melted out. you will have something like this.

b3k9.jpg

xii8.jpg

so this is the tricky part. because it is curved, any fabric you put on, once its stretched , it will have a big gap in the middle. as the 2 points ( the edges )
are higher then the center ) being stretched, would cause the middle to raise and have the gap in between.

so a way around this is. too use "Wadding" the thickness depends on YOU. too thin , and you will still have the gap.
so once you have the wadding and fabric on. flip it over and stretch it. glue it using adshieve ( fabric to plastic. )
what I did was glue & then stitched it from side to side .

I was getting very angry as my tablet didn't want to take a picture so no pictures this section .

once you've fabricated it. you will need to somehow get it back to where it was. but because you've melted it off. the only way is to melt back on.
a glue gun would be good here.
I also screwed it on with little screws a bit.
and when its done you will have something like this.
vd0u.jpg

now another tricky bit is too get all the parts back on, because you've again melted it off, the only way is glue or melt back on.
again ive done exactly the same of what I did with the fabric, ive push it in, tight, then glued/melted it on.

and this was the outcome.
though this was the 1st time, im hoping I can get better results with second door. ( I may use thinner wadding , as I used quite thick ones )

jdal.jpg

happy door smashing!

quick update- done other side today and it turned out much better! using 1cm wadding as backboard.
see images.
its much more flushed in. which I find looks much better.

gl5i.jpg

vqb3.jpg

Back