• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to remove pre facelift gearknob

Ljw

Hello, just thought I'd post this, as I struggled for so long to get it off. Somebody has most likley already done this..... And it's the stupidest thing, but you never know it might help someone as impatient and as stupid as me :)

basically I wanted to remove the gearknob off my ep3 to replace as it looked tatty, The only info I could find was to undo the nut and twist the gear knob... I was told that it can be stiff but a bit brute force and maybe mole grips will free it.

i tried this many times, mole grips (at the time) made the situation worse as it was just scratching and making a sharp surface on the original gearknob, and considering i couldn't get it off it was just cutting my hands while driving.

I then spoke to someone who said that on some pre face lift models, the gear knob's are actually glued on, so this then made me realise that no matter how much I attack with mole grips it's not going to do anything. The only thing i can do is try melt the glue with heat.

i then got a good hair dryer and some oven gloves (it burnt me first time) and direct the heat towards the lower part of the gearknob. I did this for around 15 mins. It started to free up, but then stopped moving. So I kept heating it up.

once free I used mole grips and gripped the gearknob towards the bottom. Twisting it To the left (a lot of force is still needed even though the glue is melted)twist until it stops and gets stuck again... When it becomes stuck just apply more heat to loosen. Eventually 20000 slow full turns later and a car covered in metal shavings it will finally come free!

finally the ******* thing is off :)

then all is left after this is to take the existing nut of the gearshift, pull the gaiter down and
then screw in your new gearknob :)

i went went for a gearshift extension and a plain steel gear knob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a right pain in the arse, mine have never been glued.
Glad you persevered where many would give up.

How do you find the extension?

I got the extension from tegiwa, and the gearknob... It just screws in. I love how it looks and it just makes the shifter closer to the steering wheel, a lot more comfortable.

Does it not make the shifts feel longer?
I like the idea of being nearer to the wheel though.

Not keen on the adjustable one though unless it was needed ie deep dish wheel

For me I don't see much difference, but I suppose due to the length it might make the shifts seem longer for some!

Christ what an arse ache! Well done though the new one looks awesome dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know mate! I tried so many times to get it off scared i would break something... But thankyou!!!!

Oh damn, I think I'm facing exactly the same problem. I was hoping to get the OEM knob off undamaged :lol:

I ended up buying one of the extender's, took a little getting used to as I kept going to grab the knob in original position and finding it not there.
But after a day or two don't think I can go back, I am also using it with the neuspeed short shift (tegiwa one is essentially the same)

A lot of people don't get it or think it looks stupid but it makes total sense!

Back