• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to tighten handbrake help!

I need help on tightening my hand brake on my EP3, i have tightened the handbrake lever by removing the cover in the console and tightening the nut, however the car still rolls when handbrake fully up, i think it needs something done to the back brakes, i have just had new pads on? any ideas?

Have you seen this thread here bud. http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=56156
and done that?

I do know the dealers adjusted the wife's handbrake on the discs which was the wrong thing to do. No idea how they did it though.

Maybe yours has been adjusted like this in the past?

Sorry if that's not much help.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the exploded diagram of the lines:
B__2513.jpg

This is of the rear brakes:
B__1910.jpg

and the parking brake:
B__2600.jpg

Doesn't seem to be any adjustment other than the adjusting nut #7 on the last one. :confused:

Sounds like a stretched handbrake cable/s. when you adjusted the cables from beneath the console were they pulling level?

Yeah there's no adjustment at the caliper end.....

Another problem could be seized calipers...... or the pads are shot.

I definitely have had this before.

Rear discs were heavily grooved and replacing the rear pads caused them to sit upon the high spots giving little friction, a good run in may fix it but I had to skim the discs to get them flat again.

I had a similar problem after doing the rear pads. Loosen the handbrake adjustment right off. Then with the handbrake off, pump the brake pedal hard about 20-30 times to reset the calipers. Then tighten the handbrake accordingly. If this doesn't work the it is likely that you have some seized calipers.

if you tightnen the handbrake from the centre console next time you need to fit rear pads your caliper wont wind back fully, if your handbrake is loose your calipers are seized or the handbrake cables are seized or you have no meat left on you brake pads. Wind back calipers dont require adjusting.

Back