• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

H's Deep Bronze FN2 Type R-GT

Hi all,

After months of deciding if I should get myself a Type S or Type R I went ahead with the Type R option. Then deciding on colour was another issue, it was either Alabaster Silver or Night Hawk Black, but in the end I went for Deep Bronze (I know it doesn't make sense).

However I just couldn't resist this one as it was at a good price with low mileage, low owners and it being a clean example. I thought to myself I’ve had a few silver/grey cars maybe I should try another colour and I am very pleased.

Bought her a couple of weeks ago. It’s a 2007 plate with 3 previous owners, full service history, only covering 69k miles and of course it being the GT one, it has all the extra bits. Also the additional SAT-NAV and HFT which is great.

Only starting driving it last Friday due to Tax and an issue with changing my vehicle over with the insurance.

There are a few age related marks, but hey it’s a 9 year old car and it’s in good nick with that age. I will be getting it valeted, mopped, waxed, polished, detailed etc. once the weather becomes slightly better.

So far I love the interior and the engine. It’s nothing like I’ve had before and to my understanding I don't think anyone can fault the interior/exterior even to this date. The 19" rage alloys aren't that bad, as I was hoping to purchase the original alloys but these do not look too bad and most family and friends advice these wheels set the car nicely.

Few things I might be doing are, putting on the 'Type R' grill badge, side 'Type R' decals and HID lights (Not sure if I should go for the 4300k or 5000k).

I will let you guys know how she is drives over the weeks, practicality, fuel etc.

Thanks.

View attachment 17124View attachment 17125View attachment 17126View attachment 17127View attachment 17128

Very nice, decided not to go for silver then ha.

I wanted the Rages on mine, but as i mentioned before i got it off a Fathers friend, they do look nice.

Regards

Andrew

Very nice, decided not to go for silver then ha.

I wanted the Rages on mine, but as i mentioned before i got it off a Fathers friend, they do look nice.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks. To be honest Andrew, silver ones were costing over my budget and every silver one I looked at, had some service history, too many owners or were damaged.

The rage wheels are nice, but I do prefer the originals.

Thanks. To be honest Andrew, silver ones were costing over my budget and every silver one I looked at, had some service history, too many owners or were damaged.

The rage wheels are nice, but I do prefer the originals.

what condition are they all in also tyres, could arrange a swap?

Regards

Andrew

what condition are they all in also tyres, could arrange a swap?

Regards

Andrew

They're mint. I cant recall them having a single mark on them. the rear two are wrapped in Vredestein tyres but not sure with the front ones. Hmmm, PM me if you are interested mate.

They're mint. I cant recall them having a single mark on them. the rear two are wrapped in Vredestein tyres but not sure with the front ones. Hmmm, PM me if you are interested mate.

Yeah i can see from the photos they must have had a recent refurb as the wheel colour differs from that of the centre cap.

I'll have a think and pm you mate.

Regards

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

After a month and a half of driving my new car, I am happy with my purchase. The car has huge amount of space inside without any issues. Fuel wise has been better than I thought, by getting approximately 180 miles on £30.00 with a mix of motorway and town driving. Vtech hits nicely, however the car does sound slightly louder from the exhaust than the others I have test drove, so I will be checking for any signs of decat, back box change etc. to make sure, or if it is just really my ears. Overall im very happy with it without any major issues.

I have just recently installed the side 'Type R' decals and the grill badge. Im hoping to get the oil changed this weekend, along with a full valet inside out and then maybe get it mopped the weekend after. I am also going to give the car a small service, oil, oil filter, air filter and pollen filter. However im not sure on which oil to use, Castrol, Shell, Mobil, Millers or Fuchs Titan Pro-S, any suggestions?

I will be changing the alloys to the original ones and get rid of the rage alloys as im finding it hard to like them. Soon I will be fitting a set of HID xenon headlights but not sure which colour to go for. I have a pair of 6000k which i can use but find them not to look OEM. I was considering to either have 5000k or 4300k to give the car a OEM look, so what do you guys recommend?

Much appreciated.

Any 5w-40 fully synthetic oil will be fine. I used to use Fuchs Titan Pro S.

I had the 19" Lightning alloys on my CW FN2 and I much preferred the ride and handling when I took them off and went back to the OEM 18"s but it's a trade off of looks against ride.

I had a 6000k 55w HID kit. In hindsight a 35W kit would have been adequate. Guide and pictures are here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?70866-How-to-Fit-HIDs-to-a-FN2-CTR

Thanks loxy.

The ride is quite hard hard with the rage alloys so im hoping the OEM ones make some difference and in my opinion i think the OEM alloys look much better so will be searching for a set of them.

Thanks for the guide, but to my understanding i will be needing H7R bulbs right? As the pre-facelift FN2 do not have the headlight reflectors and the H7R help direct the light beam more efficiently as to the H7 bulbs which can cause issues with oncoming traffic? I also have a HID kit already so purchasing just the bulbs would still work on the existing ballasts?

Yes, that's in the guide. Normal H7 hid bulbs will fail an MOT and dazzle people as the beam pattern will be completely wrong.

As long as your new bulbs are compatible then yes, but not all hid kits are the same.

Much appreciated Loxy. I will update you all with what I have done to my car over the coming weeks.

Hi all,

Quick update as i've been a bit busy with work etc.

So first of all, as below knowing that i had this issue with the car before buying it, I took it as a risk. Yes, the common rust issue just above the windscreen due to the design of the window seal as i was told by Honda and on the forum. After taking it to my local Honda dealer in Coventry, they took a few photos of the rust issue along with a photo of my service book. Even though my car has full service history, but it being serviced privately half way i thought this may be a problem. Luckily it wasn't. Honda are going to repair the rust problem along with a new seal under warranty in a couple of weeks.

View attachment 17288
View attachment 17289

I had an existing HID kit but with a H7 (6000k) bulbs, so i just ordered a pair of H7R (5000k) bulbs due to the headlight type on the FN2. Weren't too sure if the bulbs i was going to order were compatible with a DC or AC ballast. I was adamant that my old ballasts were AC type so took the risk, again, of ordering the AC bulbs! Following the easy guide Loxy put up the whole process was a doddle and worked without any issues or flickering from the lights. I'm happy that i went for the 5000k bulbs as they look near to OEM. While i was at it, i installed a pair of 6SMD LED sidelights along with LED number plate lights (will upload photos of these soon).

View attachment 17291

H7 bulb (left) and H7R bulb (right) for those who do not know the visual difference as i had no idea there was such thing as a H7R bulb but from Loxys guide, luckily i didn't make the mistake.

View attachment 17292

Last but not least, the alloys. Before i bought the car i was more inclined to changing the alloys as the Rages just didn't seem to tickle my fancy. However after purchasing a set of OEM FN2 alloys for £200, i sold the Rage wheels to a local chap who was looking for a set of them for months, in the end i sold them for £550, so made some profit there.

Now i did notice some difference from changing over to the OEM alloys. There was a notice in fuel consumption, but by only 3-5 miles which the OEM alloys were giving me. The other difference was the ride comfort. Now many people with the Rages will disagree but i can guarantee the ride is much more comfortable but still firm, giving the car a tight feeling. When i had the Rage alloys, every time i went over a bump or a unpredictable pothole, my car would make a loud thud from the wheels and i'm sure some of the bones in my spine were moved a for a split second. However with the OEM wheels you do get the slight thud but it doesn't feel like your spine is going to dislocated and the suspension of the car is going to collapse, it feels as if the alloys absorb it better. But that of course may be due to the bigger 5mm profile and a smaller alloy. The car now feels more light and nimble on its feet and doesn't feel like its dragging its ankles (Will upload photos of the OEM alloys on my car soon).

To be honest i did not want to drive my car when i had the Rage alloys as the bumps were too severe and made the car feel loose if that makes sense. Now i enjoy the drive more as its much more comfortable and forgiving on the bumps. I haven't realised any difference in cornering to be fair. Also the major difference is the look on the car, before it looked like clown shoes, now it looks more poised and ready to hit the road, more of an authentic look rather than it looking it had a set of aftermarket alloys from Halfrauds or the similar alloys you get on the Golf GTD's nowadays, but of course thats my opinion.

View attachment 17290

Finally i'm not sure if i'm the only one, but the OEM alloys do remind me of the old NSX-R. Of course i cannot compare to that example of classic beauty both inside and out, but there is some history there. Good ol' days of engineering.

View attachment 17287

Last edited by a moderator:
Great example you have there. Good to see Honda are sorting out the rust on the windscreen too, are they sorting it out for free?

Great example you have there. Good to see Honda are sorting out the rust on the windscreen too, are they sorting it out for free?

Yes, they will be doing this for free, along with a loan car while they take my car to carry out the repair.

Back