• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Hub swap to move caliper location

Hi Guys

i was looking around the net for ''trick bits'' as you do and ive found BYC. i like a few things he does but one thing they said got me thinking can you do that?

soooo here i am asking the question.

so on the web site they have brake cooler kits and they advise that to help with clearance you (quote)

Note: we recommend you swap your hubs round so the brake calipers are facing towards the front of the car for better duct clearances.

is it really as easy as that? or is that a lot of hassle just to have them at the front? im not really looking to do it just wondered how easy it can be done.

cheers Dan

The first though that comes to mind is "if you're worried about brake cooling and performance, why are you still tarting about with stock brakes?"

That's a good point but for the sake of the question. Could you swap the hubs in theory to move them from the back edge of the disk to the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In theory yes, if the mounting points are symmetrical.

I'm not sure you'll find anyone that's actually bothered to do it though, apart from the bloke with the vested interest in flogging parts.

Just because I'm curious. Why this as opposed to any of the other modifications you could make with known positive outcomes (rear JDM ARB, fast road setup by adding camber bolts and rear camber arms, better tyres, etc.)?

I mean, sure, do this after those things (or invest in the Accord twin-pots, or a BBK, or...). If you have money burning a hole in your pocket I have a gearbox I'd love to install new bearings, synchros and an LSD in :)

EDIT: Not sure, but, if the hub is offset slightly from front to back relative to the stroke of the suspension, this would affect caster, which could be odd.

Personally I wouldn't bother. Ducting from fog lights to the inner disc area and secured properly would be more than enough.

I did this while mine were apart. Pain in the ass. Brake lines and abs lines are a nightmare to secure properly. Don't bother. Wasted a lot of time doing this and was far too committed to change it back by the time I'd realised!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The only upside is it looks a bit different I guess! I still haven't sorted the ducts yet either!
1818fefeb807622bb95198cb481091ab.jpg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Back