• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

humming noise from engine bay??

hey, i was topping up the oil earlier and started the car after... when i was poking about the engine bay, looking around and generally giving it a wipe, i noticed a strange humming noise coming from behind the engine block, down the back almost near the exhaust manifold or within that area, its a low humming noise, almost sounds like a fan or motor!!:confused:

i turned all A/C and fans off and it was still there, it only goes away when the engine is off! it may of been there all the time and now im just noticing it but im curious to know if anyone else has had this or heard of it?:)

like i said its a low humming sound!
any ideas guys??:D

thanks

i dont think it is mate, i checked it and it seems intact! its not a rattle or buzzing ***, its a low tone humming??

removed that a while ago mate,

its not a heatshiled it sounds like the noise a fan or motor would make, a dull hummimg noise, maybe its just nothing and im being paranoid :)

you can rev the engine from under the bonnet by pulling the throttle cable on top of the engine leading to the intake manifold, if it changes pitch with the revs then it may be something to get checked as this clarifies that it is part of the moving mechanical engine parts, if it doesn't then it's probably nowt to worry about as it will be external to the engine. :)

just had a look at it again, it doesnt change pitch at all. its probably always been like that and now im just noticing it

Hi mate my ep3 does this also it is really loud aswell! I found out it was my K+N cone filter because when i put my standard filter box back on it to see if i could notice any difference it stopped humming. As soon as i put the K+N back on it humms again its really loud as well people think the cooling fan is stuck on. So theres nothing to worry about thats all it is mate.

Hi mate my ep3 does this also it is really loud aswell! I found out it was my K+N cone filter because when i put my standard filter box back on it to see if i could notice any difference it stopped humming. As soon as i put the K+N back on it humms again its really loud as well people think the cooling fan is stuck on. So theres nothing to worry about thats all it is mate.

Induction noise? This should change pitch with the revs of the engine :)

craigsy46, cheers mate, it does sound like exactly the same fault, its as if the filter is really pulling the air through, gives the impression of a fan being stuck on, strange one but thanks for the input :)

griffin831, i know what you mean mate, but its difficult to hear it once you play with the throttle cable, it does sound like its coming from the filter as i have the same one as craigsy46

It's just air being drawn into the filter. You get the same with many other kits.

Mine humms that loud the other day i was parked in the local highstreet in a traffic jam and my missus was in town walking through a tunnel under a road thats used as a safe cross over. Which was probably about 60 yards away from where i was parked surrounded by cars on tickover and before she came out the tunnel she rang to see if i was parked in traffic because she could hear the deathly humm hahaha it thats loud!!!. But it runs great and like i said when i put the standard filter back on it goes.

haha must be a loud one
yeah im sure it will be fine, nice to know im not the only one with the same curiosity :)

i have the problem today!!!! PUT NEW aem v2 induction in last month... but today it humming sound.. i got realy worreid :) good job to see this thread :)

Back