• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Humming noise

Hi everyone
I've just joined the forum and I'm wondering whether anyone can help me. I've had my car for almost 12 months and have noticed that when I'm doing about 40mph I can hear a low humming noise. I've had the wheel bearings checked and they are fine. I've just had a service and everything was spot on. To add to the fun, no one other than me seems to be able to hear anything. Could it be something to do with my tyres?

old tire's can go hard or block/step on the edges and this can cause a wheel bearing sounding noise. the best way to test that is by feeling the tyre to make sure its worn evenly. bridgestones are common for this on some cars. try spinning the wheels in the air bearing noise will whine just being spun. also try shifting weight on the vehicle (cornering) to give you an idea of which side

Hi Sir Swish

Thanks for your reply, your honour (is this the correct way to address you??).

I've had the car examined by a tyre place (who I'm sure would have tried to flog me some if they thought they could have done so) and by Honda but nobody seems to be able to hear it except me. I expect that they're all putting it down to the fact that I'm a girl...

It's not really a humming noise in that it's not a constant noise - it's more of a wom wom wom wom noise (that's obviously a technical term!) and as far as I can work out, it's coming from the back of the car. I've got some sort of bass booster in the boot so that helps to sort out the "problem" - after all, if I can't hear it, it's obviously not a real problem, is it? I'm slightly reassured by the fact that the "experts" have all looked at it and then looked at me as if I'm too stupid for words whilst saying there's nothing wrong with the car. I had visions of my wheels falling off.

However, there is definitely a noise - okay it's very subtle and it is only at 40mph which, let's face it, isn't a speed I'm at very often, but as I'm the one who is most familiar with the car and I can tell when I'm doing 40 by the sound of the car (which has obvious advantages) I'm just curious as to what it could be.

It's a mystery. Where is Hong Kong Phooey when you need him?

I

I'll guarantee it's your rear tyres.
Inner edges.
Lateral scrub wear.

Its generated by wear from the rear toe angles and cannot be avoided.

Happens on pretty much all vehicles Nowadays and is more prevalent with block shouldered tyres.

Could also be a bearing. My rear bearing is gone and for the life of me I can't get any sort of play in it no matter how much I swing out of it but when the car is 60kmh+ it's as annoying as ****!

Haha that'll be fine :) bonito is pretty spot on ive found one of the best way to diagnose is jacking up the car and spinning the wheel and gently rest your hand on the inner it'll replicate the noise failing that rotate the rear tyres to front to rule them out. bearing noise will become worse upon cornering. ask for your wheels to be balanced to see if they're buckled that can give that symptom sometimes failing that turn up the music!

Well I never!

I've just done my tyre pressures (they were a little on the low side...), been out for a spin and unless I'm very much mistaken, the humming has gone!!

Thanks guys.

As Stoo said above. Check your rear tyres, or just replace them, even if they look decent. It will stop the noise you mention.

Back