• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 I am a total car noob but the Ep3 has always been my dream car since i was about 10.

I think they both look and sound absolutely awful :lol:

They don't look as bad as those limp d1ck dolphin exhausts though

[video=youtube;OigJe8Ej0ac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OigJe8Ej0ac[/video]

Said N1 with stock B-pipe. This was bearable IMHO.

Great thread, sounds like it's going to be a good project. Certainly be interested to see what you do with the exhaust. Mine has some sort of paint tin silencer and a rust bucket custom mild-steel B-Pipe that I'll have to swap out in the not so distant future. That said...

Save your money for now, wait for it to settle and expose its issues (it will have issues, it's a 13yr old car...). Fix those first.

Sound advice ^ my repair and servicing bill for year one was best part of a grand. If I'd gone all in on a spanking new exhaust I'd have been in trouble :lol:

2. Do you all wait for the oil light to flash before filling up? I'm assuming not but could anyone give me a rough figure in terms of mileage as to how often I should top up? I'm not pushing the car very hard still getting used to it.

Also, going back a few pages (only just caught up) I didn't see anyone actually explain why you can't use the oil pressure warning light. The light is connected to an on/off fluid pressure switch, which essentially can only tell you when oil pressure in the pumping system is below the threshold the engine can run at. The engine has no way to work out how much oil it has. If the light comes on when driving you've got a serious problem such as a leak, failed pump or no oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is for me, and I don't want to offend anyone on here but I really just like the twin exhaust look, I don't like how seemingly all the exhausts are just one big one. After googling though I'm guessing the OEM one is twin it's just super expensive? One of the mechs at TGM was explaining what you can do to the car and how you can change it......definitely thinking about selling my old car and instead of putting it back into the savings just tweaking a few things.....it's bad I should definitely wait and get used to it but today was the first day I'd taken it out on a motorway or A road and it's just so awesome. Such epic engineering. I want a bit more noise, the mechanic suggested "AEM intake, Re map, Header exhaust. Will google it all at some point problem is i'm clueless haha. This thread has become so insightful for anyone looking to buy an ep3. What a community, you're all legends.

The OEM one is only a couple of hundred I think. If you want to continue with the twin pipe look at the rear though and move to something with larger diameter pipes, stainless steel, or higher flow, then things get expensive. You could get something custom made, you could pay for an imported Fujitsubo Legalis R. Now that the EP3 is older some of the previous offerings (like Milltek, maybe) don't appear to be available any more either.

The OEM exhaust isn't bad though - https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...-or-bad-is-the-original-Honda-EP3-OEM-Exhaust

Sure, there's better and with reduced restriction, louder, but the car's plenty quick on its own and can easily land you sideways, upside down, on fire, in a hedge. Look what happened to Ep3 Newb a while ago - https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...he-Edges-EP3&p=1345316&viewfull=1#post1345316 - and he'd only had the car a couple of months :(

So, again, take care of the car first in terms of maintenance and various issues it will have, then worry about handling, then maybe think about power :)

That's a pretty sensible reply, can I change the intake without changing the exhaust or is it kind of if you do one you do the other? Yeah I'm still driving it how I'd drive my golf maybe just the bits I know there's big straights I've been pushing it....not really tested cornering at speed got a year and a half worth of horrible body roll to un-worry about haha.

Taking it slow and steady while you get used to a new car is always a good plan! :D

No need to do both intake and exhaust, you can do either on their own too. Of course, unless you get it re-mapped neither is going to change too much other than sound. But if you are going for a map you'll want to do everything before hand to save mapping twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get an unsilenced M Tec B pipe and an AEM CAI if you want a bit of noise. I don't know what you're paying for insurance but it's wise to run the mods past them before spending money.

When I did some research earlier about CAI's I read about some of them resulting in slight loss of power, and also potential damage if there wasn't a facility for the extra air to be expelled? I've found links to an AEM CAI Chris but I can't find an unsilenced M Tec B pipe anywhere? Can anyone link me? I will check with my insurance today. A bit more noise would be nice. I've found a lovely integra steering wheel that I'd maybe like to buy can anyone confirm if it will fit an ep3? Naturally he's telling me it will.

AEM CAI doesn't require a remap, no damage can be caused unless you submerge it and suck up water.

You can buy a hydrosock for peace of mind for driving in heavy rain. Avoid any deep puddles, or go mega slow through them, as you should anyway.

Sportex make a dirt cheap B-pipe, they do silenced and unsilenced. My advice is this; get an unsilenced if you plan on running OEM manifold and backbox. Get Silenced if you plan on running decat manifold (remap required) or aftermarket backbox.

They're cheap because they're mild steel, but should last at least 4-5 years no problem. IMO there's not much point buying stainless unless it's a forever car. Nobody ever sees it except for your mechanic.

I would really recommend at least getting alignment done with camber bolts and arms even if you are not getting coilover or lowering spring. Better investment than a CAI IMO.

^ He's not wrong. FRSU will be far more beneficial than B-pipe and CAI.

That said, until you get some confidence in pushing on with the car, the FRSU will be wasted on you.

Yeah if I'm honest I'm probably not quite pushing the car like you guys perhaps do. Think I need to sit down and do some proper research. Realistically I should probably just stick to cosmetics for a while it has only been a week I've owned it. That being said I can't deny the temptation is real to start modding away already haha.

I've found a lovely integra steering wheel that I'd maybe like to buy can anyone confirm if it will fit an ep3? Naturally he's telling me it will.

It'd have to be something special, the EP3's steering wheel had been referred to in the past as the best OEM wheel, ever, by some reviewers. If it's the DC5 wheel then I'm pretty sure it's the same as the EP3 Premier Edition, in which case it'll be fine, I'm sure someone else will set me straight if I'm wrong here, Chris?

If it is, be careful that you see it in the flesh, a lot of them have had the outer coating stripped and been badly re-coated which is a crime against humanity.

You can get yours re trimmed just like that on an exchange basis for much less.
See the yellow bit at the top, choose your own colour etc

Back