• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

I know its asked a lot... but aem cai?

Sorry, i know this is posted a lot.

Is there a cheaper alternative to the AEM cai, im very tight for money but would like to fit a cai. Not to keen on sacrifising quality though :smt085

If your tight on funds but looking for a quality CAI induction kit, the AEM is the kit for you.

The best is the Gruppe 'M but is very expensive at the moment due to the poor £ to YEN.

There are others available, but if I was on a budget I would go for the AEM CAI.

Get the V1 over the V2 if you are trying to save as much as poss.

Here are the AEM kits to give you a better idea of teh differences between them.

http://www.unit-8.co.uk/acatalog/EP3_Cold_Air_Feed_kits.html

Don't buy the V2 no matter how cheap you can get one for.

V1 represents the best value for money CAI

However, why not do the airbox mod and fit an aftermarket filter? To be honest, if I had an EP3 again that's what I'd do....and I've had the GruppeM before.

cheers for the help. Think i will raid the piggy bank and get the aem cai.

I like the idea of fitting a new filter and keeping the original box, i have done this before, but really what that crazy wild noise!!! :smt060:smt060

CAI is good....but,

In order to fit it (if your doing it youself) you must remove the front bumper and cut a little bit of the black plastic behind to get the cone in. The cone sits really low down you see to pick up as much cold air as possible.

The other thing to think about is if you ever drive through large (and I mean large) puddles. We have a bridge near where I work which always gets flooded. I have driven through it a few times but mostly have to turn around as it's that bad. When I say bad, I mean cars floating down the road bad :lol: If you do, think carefully before buying as if the CAI is dunked in water it 'could' suck it up into the engine which would be :eek:

I think it has happend to a few people on CTRO but it's quite rare to be honest.

I think that's why people go for the V2 instead, but you might aswell just keep the original box as I had a V2 and lost performance.

cool, fitting shouldnt be to bad, before for some reason wanting to go back to college at the age of 26, i was an electrician so used to working with hands.

Although i did notice that on the link in this thread it says its a new cai that doesnt require cutting?

Puddles dont worry me, im sure i could fit something new it to shield, plus (im guessing) wouldnt any water have to travel a long way vertically, surely that bad boy cant suck that hard lol.

appreciate the help and advice

Puddles dont worry me, im sure i could fit something new it to shield, plus (im guessing) wouldnt any water have to travel a long way vertically, surely that bad boy cant suck that hard lol.

It does happen, if the cone gets submerged enough it will suck up water.

The engine then suffers from 'Hydrolock'.

hmmmm.

Im presuming this isnt a problem when its raining bad on a motorway? I have never had to drive through any large puddles or floods, think im quite safe where i live.

In order to fit it (if your doing it youself) you must remove the front bumper and cut a little bit of the black plastic behind to get the cone in.

You don't need to remove the bumper, can be done with just the front wheel off and the arch liner pulled back;)

in the words of del boy "lovely jubley"
All i need now is the kit :)

Will post up a "how i got on" thread with pics when it happens.

thanks everyone. All opinions have been listened to and considered.

I bought one of Funky on here which was replica which did the job nice so could be worth looking around (ebay etc). cost me about 40 quid but sold it due to flooding in my area and got scared :( did sound great though!!!

Back