• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Ideal shifting point

Hi guys.

Any thoughts on where the ideal shifting point for the FN2 Type R is for proper sprinting (track days etc)? I can't seem to put my finger on it.

Just before the Red line.

The shift lights should come on in sets of 2 (3 sets of 2) as you approach the limiter, the ideal shift point would be to gear up at around 7,800rpm - this approach is applicable for full on acceleration.

For day to day driving, I tend to shift up at approximately 3,500-4,000rpm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TypeRiter. So at which set of shift light do I swap cogs, or will I have to do it by trial and error?

I really don't think there is much in it - I think the third set of lights is the set to shift at for optimal acceleration, but like I said, there really isn't much in it.

Not that it is overly dangerous but shifting up at the limiter, also exposes you to the risk of hitting the limiter.

The last shift light comes on a little early, I tend to wait for the redline.

Doesn't it depend on where your optimum power area is. As to try and keep the car in the biggest power area for longer. For example the power might drop off much steeper at 7900 than 7850rpm. Hard to say without looking at a map. Or I may just be talking out my ar*e. :)

try getting your car dyno'ed - in mine the max power is at 7.500 rpm, which makes it a good spot for gear change

Would two standard cars be the same then?

No.

No two engines (or cars for that matter) are the same, given this, other factors also to consider are how the car has been run in and the mileage the cars have done too.

Manufacturer's figures are an indication - not fact, some cars come off of the production line with more power than the car behind it, on the same production line, some with less.

No.

No two engines (or cars for that matter) are the same, given this, other factors also to consider are how the car has been run in and the mileage the cars have done too.

Manufacturer's figures are an indication - not fact, some cars come off of the production line with more power than the car behind it, on the same production line, some with less.

Agree with the above, but don't go thinking you've got a good one with 220bhp etc. It'll only be a couple of BHP difference at the most.

Back