• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Idle rattle

Theres a rattle when am sitting cold in idle coming from the belt pulley tensioner area any ideas what it is?

Also when i reverse it sounds like a squeek coming from it but only when i first time my foot off the clutch it squeeks one then thats it every time i do it. it is coming from the belt pulley tensioner area again by the sounds of it.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
The squeak sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing. I've got it now that my clutch has failed so that's getting replaced as well next week. That would generally squeak each slow press of the clutch though, mine does. :(

However, if it is the aux belt tensioner, then I suppose it could also be the aux belt slipping when the engine gets some load on it, or the bearing on the pulley squeaking.

The only things that would rattle down there would be the cam chain, cam chain tensioner, chain on the cam chain guides because of a dodgy tensioner, or one of the pulleys on the aux belt. It needs eyes on really to tell what it would be.

The squeak sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing. I've got it now that my clutch has failed so that's getting replaced as well next week. That would generally squeak each slow press of the clutch though, mine does. :(

However, if it is the aux belt tensioner, then I suppose it could also be the aux belt slipping when the engine gets some load on it, or the bearing on the pulley squeaking.

The only things that would rattle down there would be the cam chain, cam chain tensioner, chain on the cam chain guides because of a dodgy tensioner, or one of the pulleys on the aux belt. It needs eyes on really to tell what it would be.
I just had the chain and tensioner changed about 2 month ago, hope it isn't that. i just got my transmission fluid changed would that affect the clutch release bearing?

I will get it checked out. one thing after another with it just now lol.

I just had the chain and tensioner changed about 2 month ago, hope it isn't that. i just got my transmission fluid changed would that affect the clutch release bearing?

I will get it checked out. one thing after another with it just now lol.

Chain should be fine then.

Clutch release bearing can go at any time really. Is it the original and what's the mileage? Transmission fluid won't have affected the bearing.

From what you've said, if it's definitely coming from the auxiliary belt area, I'd be looking at round there. Are there any metal filings knocking about that could have come from a pulley bearing?

I've had the car for over 2 year and i haven't changed it, it has about 84000 so could be worth changing.

Am not sure never noticed anything i will have a better look tomorrow and get it all checked out. Is it worth getting a new belt while am at it if it is the pulley as that hasn't been changed since i got it either.

A new belt is £30 odd from Euro Car Parts, so if you do end up changing a pulley it'd be worth it, especially if it's been slipping.

Back