• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

I'm new to the EP3 world and would like a few pointers

Hi Guys this is my first post on the forum :) HAY!!

I would like a few tips or recomendations about an exhaust system for the EP3 civic type R...I already know it's an awesome machine and wish i'd bought one sooner :)

I have owned the car since June and would now like to start on modifying and would like to start with the exhaust system, does anyone have any suggestions without taking out a mortgage to buy one? I have been looking on Ebay at the unbranded exhaust systems but I had one of them on my Fiesta ST and to be honest the centre box got a hole in it within a matter of months but it did sound really good, I have been looking at Mongoose Cat Back systems and Sportex systems which seem like a decent price to pay, also the Japspeed manifold, if I was to buy either of these parts would they be able to join up with no hassle or would you prefer it all to be of the same brand? A friend of mine has the powerflow system manifold all the way through and to be honest I think it has restricted his car more than power gains as his is the JDM import and mine is the UKDM and mine is just as quick (if not quicker) but like i said im new to this and would like a few pointers. Or if any of you lovely lot have any systems for sale I may be interested?!

please give me some advice ;)

Thanks very much for that, it helped a little bit but I was after a bit more detail regarding prices and value for money etc but I has definitely given me a better outlook on manufacturers to have a look at online :) thanks again I'll be doing some deeper research now ;)

What kind of suspension set up do you have ?

Presuming you have the standard set up, I would personally start with a good set of springs and the FRSU (Fast Road Set Up). This will transform the way the car handles and IMO would be the best 'First mod' you could do.

RE Exhaust: You will have no trouble matching an exhaust up to the Japspeed manifold but if you do not have a Kpro/k100 ECU then you are likely to find that fitting an aftermarket manifold/de cat will turn on the CEL light on the dash. To give you an idea of prices take a look at this link: http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&year=2001%2B+EP3+CIVIC+TYPE+R&level1=EXHAUSTS+%26+EXHAUST+MANIFOLDS&level2=EXHAUST+SYSTEMS&man=

Oh, and hello & welcome :D

Yeah my car is totally standard apart from an induction kit, it's milanoo red with carbon wrap on bonnet, tail gate and roof which I put on myself, so suspension set up is standard, how much would it cost me for a fast road set up and what goodies do I need to buy apart from lowering springs and camber adjusters? Thanks for the link too the exhaust systems look excellent :) also I have no intention of buying an aftermarket ECU as that is a little out of my price range and I'm not looking to supercharge or turbocharge my car as I think it's pretty good power wise...I would just like it to sound better and handle better on bends, the civic is a fantastic machine :) maybe I should just treat it to a cat back system and fast road set up, I'm based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire so I'll have to take it to a local garage with laser allignment tools, I have seen springs for around £120 whih lowers it by 30-40mm so I think a camber adjustment kit would be all I need? I had a look under the bonnet and noticed my right hand side (gearbox side) engine mount is missing! Wtf! This is probably what is causing my car to pull left under acceleration and heavy braking, where would I get one of them?
Many thanks for your replies it's helped so much :)

^ if you're on a budget don't even look at FEELS, you'll cry.

Missing engine mount doesn't sound good pal, I wouldn't drive it until I got that fixed, especially wouldn't give it the beans.

Message Hendyshop on here, he will get a genuine mount for you cheaper than Honda probably would.

SikBoy - I'm looking for a bit of both to be honest :) I love the sound of all civics with an exhaust system and to be quite frank I've been told that most exhaust systems don't give much on power gains so I'm not expecting miracles but some performance would be nice but I think noise is good ;) I don't mind if it's second hand either...not much in the for sale section ***...

+1 with Sikboy. If you're on a budget consider a S/h Spoon N1 with a silenced Supersprint b pipe. Loud when you want it to be, but not when just pootling around town.

Does anyone recommend the sportex cat back system? Also what diameter pipe would be ideal? 64, 68 or 70mm? The sported has a nice 3inch tailpipe so don't look too big hanging out the back end :)

I've actually just bought the Sportex Cat Back system (Race tube & oval back box) purely because money is tight after xmas, and I really needed a replacement exhaust. Its being fitted tomorrow so I'll give you a shout and let you know if its upto much.....

Personally, I'm not expecting much from it. I don't expect any real performance gain at all - I simply bought it as I needed to replace my exhaust cheaply, and with the discount I got, this was much cheaper than anything else out there.

Ok, so I got it put on today. Not the greatest fit in the world, it was real fiddly considering its meant to be to the same dimensions as a standard unit!

It's loud (real loud) very bassy at low revs, raspy as hell under throttle, and it pops and burbles like a b*tch on deceleration... It sounds alright ***, a tad to loud but for what I paid for it I'm fairly amused by it! Definitely don't go for it if u don't want the attention!

Back