• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Improving CTR Aerodynamics

I was sat on the motorway last night, heavy drizzle in the air.

Anyhow I noticed the way the rain was flowing over the wing mirrors and off the back off the car looked at a bit messy.

This got me thinking. Can the CTR's aerodynamics be improved? If so how?

I've seen undertray things for the rear of the DC5, almost a diffuser. Does anyone know if it's possible to get one for the CTR? Ideally I want aerodynamic gains to be changed into downforce, rather than wasteful turbulence.

I know swapping the spoiler is an easy option to increase the rear end downforce, but the OEM looks like it'll do an ok job. I was thinking more about the underside & front of the car. :?:

Paul at TDI North has a rear diffuser fitted, but I believe the company has now gone bust.

Friendy said:
Paul at TDI North has a rear diffuser fitted, but I believe the company has now gone bust.

Yes m8, it was the Nemisis one.

TBH at the speeds we do I doubt anything you do would make a hugely noticable difference. Still you could swap the wing mirrors for some more flush/aerodynamic ones. Or small squarecraft (or spoon?) carbon ones, small and light.

Also you could fit front cannards just infront of the front wheels on the front spoiler, these provide front end downforce and hence more front end grip. You can buy universal ones, or try and talk nice to Composite Guru ;)

As for the underside the idea is to have the airflow under the car flow as smooth and fast as possible leaving the rear of the car cleanly, creating an area of low pressure underneath, this in effect turns the car into an inverted wing which helps 'suck' the car onto the track...AS it stand due to all the exhaust and what not the air is pretty 'dirty' under there.

Mind you this works for f1/gt cars, how much for a hatchback???? Well not much I guess.

G, those were the three options I was thinking of as well.

I'll have a chat with Mark at Tdi, see what he reckons.

Doing 145mph on the Autobahns I found that the CTR was very stable and well planted. I thought that the standard bodykit was aerodynamically designed :?

Made a loud whistling noise though which I presume was the wiper blades as they started lifting :wink:

Bazzer said:
Doing 145mph on the Autobahns I found that the CTR was very stable and well planted. I thought that the standard bodykit was aerodynamically designed :?

Made a loud whistling noise though which I presume was the wiper blades as they started lifting :wink:

Could also be the windscreen leaking mate. I noticed mine did it a *** speeds at the kent meet so got Honda to re seat it :D

I see from a modify video of the US Civic Si, the guy was commenting on how much Honda had spent ensuring the bottom of the car was flat and smooth to improve the aerodynamics.

I just can't find a link for the video :oops:

Isnt there always a compromise, between downforce and aerodynamics!

Its finding the balance that allows you to cleave through the air to hit max speed, whilst giving you downforce through the twisty bits

donald said:
Isnt there always a compromise, between downforce and aerodynamics!

Its finding the balance that allows you to cleave through the air to hit max speed, whilst giving you downforce through the twisty bits
yes, a balance between going round the corner quicker, and slower down the straight, or vice versa.

Back