• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

In-car video of my first lap of oulton park

Nice vid shame about the music. You slid at the end because your line through the corner was wrong. Good to see you kept it pointing in the right direction though. :)

I'd disagree with the line being wrong, if it was wrong I wouldn't have driven it. But thanks anyway :)

I agree with staffs, you took the wrong line, turned in too early but glad you kept it pointing in the right direction..
The instructors on site will get you taking a completely different line

So I take it you were both fully aware of the conditions of the track at the time, any deposits of oil or fuel, any mud that had been kicked onto the track from previous incidents? Also the setup of my car, my preferred style and other factors?

I have a large amount of trackday and racing experience so believe me, I took the correct line... Otherwise I would have done it differently. It's as simple as that.

You can't judge these things if you don't know any of the deciding factors.

I have a good amount of track driving experience too, I know oulton pretty well too and get around the full circuit in about 2mins in my car and just under on my bike. Watching that video, it most certantly appears to be the wrong the line through that last bend. As you said, we can't see other factors like debris on track etc, but I can see a dry line which you seemed to miss and clipping the apex appears to have unsettled the car.

It can be very difficult to see somebody's 'pace' on video but you can tell you are not very familiar with that track (well it is you're first time!) as you let off the throttle in lots of places you don't need too. Again I'm not on the track and can't fully judge the grip level from a camera, but on a greasy or fully wet track I don't need to let off the power so with that dry line I wouldn't have thought you would have had too.

Try not to take it as a criticism, just a bit of advice. If you think we are wrong that's fine, but when you post up videos of your self on track you really got to expect good and bad comments.

Feel free to watch a few of my videos at oulton for comparison of lines etc and criticise if you like.
http://youtu.be/vajLtQMbcxk

and on the bike
http://youtu.be/Ugozsux7hk0

Last edited by a moderator:
So I take it you were both fully aware of the conditions of the track at the time, any deposits of oil or fuel, any mud that had been kicked onto the track from previous incidents? Also the setup of my car, my preferred style and other factors?

I have a large amount of trackday and racing experience so believe me, I took the correct line... Otherwise I would have done it differently. It's as simple as that.

You can't judge these things if you don't know any of the deciding factors.

Ha ha, what a response! When did you win your F1 title? Oh hang on......you haven't!

There is one line for a dry circuit and another for a wet one. You're line was wrong whether you like it or not (unless your driving style is to intentionally upset the car's stability).

When I post up a video I expect comments, good and bad. Don't get upset when someone highlights why something went wrong. No matter who you are and how good you think you are there is always room for improvement.

I don't get upset by people giving constructive advice when I ask for it (or in this case if I needed it). That's fine.

What I do take exception to is someone who (no offence) doesn't know what they talking about posting utter rubbish. You cannot say there are "2 lines" - that is just unworkable in such variable conditions. Just like braking points and clipping points they vary constantly. And are very difficult to judge from your armchair. You're an internet racer, nothing more.

Back