• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Info on cams for EP3

Awrite everyone,

In a bit of a dilemma not sure what to do.

So I have DC5 cams just now but I have the bug again and want to change them, but just not sure what is best option for me is.

Not really aiming to make gains just more drivabilty and maybe just a little bit more out of it is a bonus lol.

I would rather just drop straight in to the engine without changing anything else. I wanted tdi cams but they are a little over what I want to pay hence this thread as I don't want to do it and end up regretting going for the tdi cams.

So is there any other camshafts that are close or as good ?

I have seen the Kelford 179-A's i-VTEC Camshaft forsale on here are these any good? also read a little on the skunk cams.

Any info appreciated :smt023

Skunk2 stage 1s still need valve springs and ideally an uprated tensioner and adjustable exhaust cam gear. They are really hard on the valve train due to being fast ramp and not 100% centered even when timed up properly. Things get expensive really quick.

I can't comment on those Kelford cams because I've no real experience with them other than knowing that they are a highly regarded brand.

Have a look at Drag Cartel. They do a decent drop in cam, although as the name suggests they make good top end power being a "drag" cam, though saying that I can't expect you'd lose much torque with them.

In all honesty if you're keeping the stock valve train I'd save a little longer for the TDi cams. They made similar figures to the Toda A3 profiled cams I used to have. The A3s made good torque yes, and they came alive if you rev them out but you need to do the valve train on them anyway.

I was waiting for the TDI ones but with the 10percent off offer on and being so far away I had a few things like service,steering rack, backbox to get done at the same time save a little.

Think I saw some drag cartel cams forsale somewhere aswell so look in to that aswell.

See what happens see how much it all costs what I want done and might just bite the bullet and go for the tdi cams, I wish I did that to start with rather than the DC5 cams so don't want to make same mistake twice.

Also ment to be going down to a man utd v Norwich game aswell so would be driving to that aswell so kills two birds with one stone.

What about FD2 cams?

I've heard they are a good upgrade on the FN2, but can someone confirm whether they can be used in a EP3.

Would imangine they would be able to be used on ep3 same k20 is It not?

Was there not much debate on fd2 cams and dc5 cams being the same and it turned out their very similar to dc5 cams?

I think so far its between tdi cams and kelford cams. From what info I can get on the kelfords are there good but not so good lower down the range part from that not much info.

This my dyno chart after having tdi cams fitted, the dotted red line was what it was like before

e4utaju6.jpg

There has been a long running debate about whether FD2 cams and DC5 cams are the same profile or not. Needless to say, they make very similar figures.

Both will go in an EP3 or FN2 but will obviously need mapping.

This was mine with TDi cams vs the Skunk2 stage 1s, same car with same mods bar the cams with both runs done on the same day.

tdi2.jpg

Cheers lads going to need to bite the bullit and go for it.

Ive emailed tdi earlier to get ball rolling.

So that's me booked in to tdi north for the 30th of dec nice and prepared for a change.

Ended up getting the Kelford 179-A's cams, decided to port my rbc to 70mm aswell and not decided on what 70mm throttle body yet.

Hi Howie, If you could get similar graphs that Chop posted that would be great, I'd be interested to see if there is a similar gain increase.

Also on the graph that Chop posted, any comments on the mid range dip compared to standard??

*Update - Did you buy the cams through TDI? If so may I ask how much you paid? Thanks.

Hi Howie, If you could get similar graphs that Chop posted that would be great, I'd be interested to see if there is a similar gain increase.

Also on the graph that Chop posted, any comments on the mid range dip compared to standard??

*Update - Did you buy the cams through TDI? If so may I ask how much you paid? Thanks.

No I got them from a seller on here but still in the box new. dont think you can buy they cams here inless its from someone who has already imported them, I payed 450 I think.

Went for the hybrid racing throttle body aswell so hopfully good gains but just hoping it feels a little better tbh not that botherd about gains now just aslong as it drives better.

I will be selling the DC5 cams once they are removed lol.

Will get a graph posted up when its done:thumbup:

That's me been down to TDI north on Monday, worse day ever to drive in and at the last min had to drive to Huddersfield for some coilovers, on the way back up it was good fun though part from the traffic police sitting at every flyover lol.

I'm happy with the car feels a lot better to drive and feels like I have more power even though it isn't massive difference, it seems to put the power down a little bit better doesn't want to wheel spin as much but not sure if that's the coilovers or just in my head ?

As you can see the power drops out a little so the cams are a bit weird but pick back up.

I had the TDI north lads mapping till about half 7 so cheers for the time put in and thanks paul for some free Honda racing sunglasses well happy with them haha.

tjmp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back