• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Info on how VTEC works now?

Anyone got a link to something that will tell me how the **** VTEC works now? I don't understand what it does on the FK2 Type R....

Thanks.

Is it not the same but just now has a turbo.

From what i can feel is that the turbo kicks in at around 2500-3000rpm and the vtec happens somewhere around 5000-5500rpm

The days of good old high revving n/a Honda's is now gone :( wish they had not followed the turbo brigade but hey ho its still an awesome car !!

giphy.gif

The trouble is they wouldnt be able to compete unless they did especially with emissions laws. Plus the one big upgrade people want to do on a n/a engine is a supercharger or turbo normally. Its only true honda enthusiasts that would buy a n/a fk2 for circa 26k so not a massive market.

Ive always wanted a civic type r but probably wouldn't have bought this one if it wasn't like it is, as was sniffing around the leon 280's, golf r's and the like

The trouble is they wouldnt be able to compete unless they did especially with emissions laws. Plus the one big upgrade people want to do on a n/a engine is a supercharger or turbo normally. Its only true honda enthusiasts that would buy a n/a fk2 for circa 26k so not a massive market.

Ive always wanted a civic type r but probably wouldn't have bought this one if it wasn't like it is, as was sniffing around the leon 280's, golf r's and the like

Yes I agree 100% with you mate and I love the new ctr would deffo have one, but on another note to me a proper hot hatch has a good high revving n/a lump and hot hatches are all about fun not out and out performance... maybe I'm just old school :) but it seems all modern hot hatches have gone down the boring sounding turbo route... I used to own an astra vxr & leon cupra 225 and yes they was quick but sounded sh1te imho !!

It doesn't work like the old engines, I'm sure it is now opposite, high lift at low rpm to reduce the feel of turbo lag, then when the turbo spins up it switches to the more modest cam profile.

Yes I agree 100% with you mate and I love the new ctr would deffo have one, but on another note to me a proper hot hatch has a good high revving n/a lump and hot hatches are all about fun not out and out performance... maybe I'm just old school :) but it seems all modern hot hatches have gone down the boring sounding turbo route... I used to own an astra vxr & leon cupra 225 and yes they was quick but sounded sh1te imho !!

Im of the turbo generation so ive not driven a decent n/a hot hatch unfortunately

On the new engine, from what I understand, it's only on the exhaust cam to control exhaust flow. In a similar way to what the wastegate does. It's used more so at low rpm to help reduce turbo lag.

Red-lining at 7,000 rpm, the engine – part of Honda’s next-generation Earth Dreams Technology series – features an advanced new turbocharging system which incorporates Honda’s legendary Variable Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) technology to boost low-end torque while delivering sustained acceleration.

Combining a turbocharger with Honda’s VTEC and VTC provides benefits in output, efficiency and packaging. VTC allows a degree of valve timing overlap which is finely controlled across a broad rev range to improve responsiveness and efficiency. VTEC varies the degree of exhaust valve lift to reduce turbo lag through increased exhaust pressure at lower rpm while delivering a high output at higher rpm. As a result of the benefits these technologies bring, a mono scroll turbocharger can be used to produce a class-leading peak output, while maintaining response at lower engine speeds and a high-revving power delivery. To further improve responsiveness, the turbo-charging system has an electronic wastegate offering a higher degree of freedom in induction pressure control.

The mono scroll turbocharger combines with cast aluminium pistons, aluminium VTEC rocker arms, forged conrods and a lightweight crankshaft to minimise the overall weight, size and rotational mass of the engine.

http://hondanews.eu/gb/en//media/pressreleases/55273/2015-honda-civic-type-r-uk-press-kit

It doesn't work like the old engines, I'm sure it is now opposite, high lift at low rpm to reduce the feel of turbo lag, then when the turbo spins up it switches to the more modest cam profile.

This is what I've heard. Just wanting confirmation because I have no idea what's happening atm.

Do you guys notice any VTEC on the new FK2? I can't notice it, it just goes from low to high, I don't feel anything happen extra throughout the rev range.

Do you guys notice any VTEC on the new FK2? I can't notice it, it just goes from low to high, I don't feel anything happen extra throughout the rev range.

I swear I can hear something in the higher rev ranges but its also meant to be helping low down too and I cant tell at all when in the low revs. Overall it does just feel like a normal turbo engine to me but maybe I shouldn't make that comparison since I haven't driven too many high power turbo cars.

Yep that's what the dealer told me when i was test driving the fk2. they have reversed it and now come in at lower reves to help turbo lag. lol but as he was a sales man don't know how much he really knew.

Back