• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Injen CAI

well i should of really read into this before but oh well..

I bought an Injen CAI the other day and it arrived today all well and good.
However ever since ive started looking how to fit it, ive been reading about the dreaded hydrolock.

I don't want to fit it now basically because i drive a lot of miles and suffering this half way through my journey to work would be disasterous.

Is there anyway to effectively stop it? and how big is this "puddle" thats going to break my car?

I won't bother fitting it until i get a proper answer so hopefully one of you guys will be able to help me, if i cant stop it then ill have to sell it :(

Thanks in Advance

Martin

I've driven with a CAI for 3 years in all the weather Britian has to offer without incident.

If the puddle looks like it might be deep, don't drive though the middle of it. simples.

You have one of them hydro socks? And guessing the filter has to actually get submerged to cause trouble?
Had it on through snow and ice too? :)

Just don't submerge the filter. If you must go through make sure you have enough speed and coast through with engine off. Worse thing you can do is WOT.

No not straight away you won't and it's only for a small time until your through the puddle. My ATR has had an AEM long ram for over 6 years. No problems and I've never had to turn my engine off FYI.

mines had an AEM CAI since i've had it (10 months) and i've had no problems with it.
although when i've been lazy and taken my car through a car wash sometimes for about 5/10 minutes after i have no vtec..:confused:

mines had an AEM CAI since i've had it (10 months) and i've had no problems with it.
although when i've been lazy and taken my car through a car wash sometimes for about 5/10 minutes after i have no vtec..:confused:

I don't know if that's because of water in your filter or nt but can't be good like :/ stop been lazy and using car washes :p haha

Anyone using a hydro shield? :)

Think I'll buy one to be extra safe like.

Although saying this, we have a friend with a throttle bodied fiesta who runs no filters over the trumpets, used in all weather, they sit right behind the grill and he's never had any trouble like, maybe I'm just being paranoid

Don't do this.

had a aem cai fitted for over a year on my ctr with no probs what so ever...............drove in heavy rain and never had any issues

aslong as your not daft enough to drive through a 2 foot+ puddle you'll be fine,

get a hydo shield if your worried but trust me there's no need to be,

alsothe paper filters are $hiteand get dampeasy which makes the car run rubbish...........metal gauze filters are fine even when damp! im sure you willhave a metalgauze filter with the injen...............with the aem cai you either get metal gauze or paper filters!;)

had a aem cai fitted for over a year on my ctr with no probs what so ever...............drove in heavy rain and never had any issues

aslong as your not daft enough to drive through a 2 foot+ puddle you'll be fine,

get a hydo shield if your worried but trust me there's no need to be,

alsothe paper filters are $hiteand get dampeasy which makes the car run rubbish...........metal gauze filters are fine even when damp! im sure you willhave a metalgauze filter with the injen...............with the aem cai you either get metal gauze or paper filters!;)

Haha I'm not daft enough to drive through rivers :)

Yer comes with metal gauze filter, looks ace tbh I'll bang a photo up soon :)

c5bb8763.jpg

909d086f.jpg

She's a big ole girl like!

Filter is oiled... That likely to cause maf problems?

I've just recently got an AEM cai. Its got a dryflow filter, and I've covered it with an INJEN Hydro shield. No my car since buying it had had no passenger arch liner or splash guard. But i've recently purchased them (Yet to be posted though I think) to help prevent from spray. Only odd thing about mine is it isn't loud really? I want to invest in a metal gauze filter though asap.

Yeah, I just want a little more piece of mind. The cover after feeling it tonight (not even raining, just damp surfaces) is a right state! Never mind the filter, must be letting damp onto it, cannot be that damp and the filter not. Its stuff like driving along motorway in heavy rain with so much spray coming straight of my wheel and onto the filter that I don't like the idea of. Want to get a Metal Gauze filter which I can still cover with Hydro shield, and still be quite hidden from spray by arch liner then it will be bliss.

Ped IMO you need non of those thinks. Your only at risk if the intake is submerged.

This.

Hydrolock is not an issue when driving on normal roads. Had a CAI on my DC2 since last August, no issues when driving through deep puddles on the road.

Only issue is if the filter is submerged, but by then you should be questioning why you're driving a car through water deep enough to submerge half of the engine and front end of the car too.

Si.

Back