• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Inlet manifold full of coolant :(

Hi Guys,

I decided to clean my idle air control valve yesterday. Cleaned it and put it all back together and without realising I must have damaged the gasket putting it back together and now a load of coolant has squirted into my inlet manifold. I took it round the block after I did it (without realising at this point) and within a couple of minutes it started to hesitate a little bit and the engine management flashed.

Got back home and by now it was spluttering a bit but seemed ok idling for a minute, I then took it all apart again and there it was, manifold with a puddle of coolant.

I am picking up a new gasket tomorrow from Honda and spent about an hour or so clearing out the rest of the coolant from the manifold.

Will this have been likely to have done much damage? I am intending to fit the gasket over the weekend and also change the oil and filter (as i'm concerned about any of that coolant now mixed with the oil)

Really don't know how I managed to mess the gasket up when I did this! :(

Ok so I replaced the gasket today and everything seems to be ok again, although there has obviously been some coolant/water got into the engine as all that beige gunk has started to form around the oil cap. Will possible use engine flush or just change the oil a couple of times to clear it all out.

Back