• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Input shaft bearing issues/questions

I know there is multiple threads on this but I cant seem to find one that answers my questions.

I had my input shaft bearing changed just over a year ago, and for the last 6000 miles of this year the bearing noise has come back, the obvious tick over noise but also when your coasting with the car in gear and clutch pressed in I can hear a horrible whine which stops when you stick it into neutral. (guessing that is related to the bearing)

questions are really, are these just common and will continue to work as normal? or does it need replacing again. what does the input shaft bearing actually do? and has anyone ever had one dramatically fail on them?

As you probably guessed my gearbox knowledge is poor as I've never really looked into them or worked on one and this is baffling me as I'm not sure if its something serious or just common?

Any info/help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Back