• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Install Silvatec indicatorbulbs.

Time Required:
10mins per side, 20mins total, less for people who are good with this sort of thing.

Parts Required:
1 x Blunt flat headed screwdriver
1 x packet of silver indicator bulbs (shown below)
jan2005silvatecbulbs8mn.jpg

Step 1.)
Turn the car to full lock in the opposite direction to the side you wish to work on. Here for example we are working on the drivers side headlight, so the lock is towards the offside. Notice the two poppers on the wheel arch lining.
jan2005silvatecturnaccess5yq.jpg

Step 2.)
Using the flat headed screwdriver remove the two poppers that hold the arch lining in place. A picture of the popper is shown below. Note you must make sure the head of the popper is retracted far enough in order for the popper to come out.
jan2005silvatecpopper0lm.jpg

Step 3.)
Peel the arch back to reveal access to the front indicator holder socket. (note the socket isn't shown in the picture as getting a picture at that angle was a pain in the arse!)
jan2005silvatecpeelback2xg.jpg

Step 4.)
Put your hand up to the rear of the indicator socket and rotate it anti clockwise. This releases the socket holder and bulb from the main headlight unit. Pull it towards you making sure not to snag it on anything as you go.

Step 5.)
To remove the bulb from the holder, press down on it light and give it a quarter turn anti clockwise. This will release the standard orange bulb.

Step 6.)
Insert the new silvertec bulb, press down on it lightly and give it a quarter turn clockwise.

Step 7.)
The silvertec bulb is now in the holder, you must now place it back into the headlight unit. Move the indicator holder unit back up inside the arch lining and into the vacant hole you removed it from. Once it feels in place give it a one quarter turn clockwise to lock it in place.

Step 8.)
Remove your hand from inside the arch lining, and put the poppers back on. I recommend that you make sure the central pin in the popper is full retracted, otherwise they won't fit back on. Make sure it's all nice and neat, nothing dangling about.

Step 9.)
Go and wash your hands.... it's grubby down there :wink: Job done !

Before:
jan2005silvatecbefore7yc.jpg

After:
jan2005silvateccomplete1yq.jpg

Credit to CTR Paul.

Oh hai there, what bulb code is it for the front? Is it easy to change the indicator bulbs by mirrors also? And is it the same bulb as front?

Great guide. I've got absolutely no mechanical experience and this took me about 3 minutes. Only thing is I couldn't get one of the poppers back in right but it seems pretty secure without it anyway.
The bulbs packaging looks different but they have the same part number. Cost £13.99 from halfords. Look much better, cheers for guide.

Oh hai there, what bulb code is it for the front? Is it easy to change the indicator bulbs by mirrors also? And is it the same bulb as front?

501(t10)- sidelights (hb3)- high beam (h1) - dipped , indicators (581) are same , this is in facelift model

501(t10) -sidelights (h4)-dipped/High , indicators (581) are same this is in pre-face model

this is off top of my head, as ive had my lights out recently

facelift has 4 bulbs each side, preface has 3 .
due to projectors and high beam being separated

Last edited by a moderator:
Back